Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I picked up an 2012 X2 550 and have had starting issues. It seems that the battery does not enough power to start the ATV consistently. I have read through the threads available, talked with the service manager a few times("bring it in, it should only cost around $300 to troubleshoot" "of course parts are additional" "I have never heard of starting problems with the X2s"), replaced the battery, so on and so on. I have checked voltages, connections etc. Is there a battery on the market that has sufficient power to run an X2 550? BTW my nephew has a 2011 X2 with the same issue. Design issue???

I know, give up and get a battery tender.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Last year I picked up an 2012 X2 550 and have had starting issues. It seems that the battery does not enough power to start the ATV consistently. I have read through the threads available, talked with the service manager a few times("bring it in, it should only cost around $300 to troubleshoot" "of course parts are additional" "I have never heard of starting problems with the X2s"), replaced the battery, so on and so on. I have checked voltages, connections etc. Is there a battery on the market that has sufficient power to run an X2 550? BTW my nephew has a 2011 X2 with the same issue. Design issue???

I know, give up and get a battery tender.
I believe you answered you own question! Yup, get a tender.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
You should be able to run the same 30AH battery people put in the XPs. The X2 was put in the XP chassis starting in 2010.

I have a 2011...it always starts, but I know what you mean. Sometimes, when hot, mine sounds like the battery is dead.

Sean

·
Registered
234 Posts
I too have a 13 550 and the starter sounds like it is barely turning over. The other day when it was cold (bout 28) I started it but it seemed like it almost wouldn't catch, but it did. I have checked the battery and it checks out fine using a chart and battery tester made for that size battery..

I refuse to put anything on a battery tender. I think it gives false actual battery indication of being full.

If my battery is weak I want to know about it before i get 40 miles from the trail head and it dies.

To be sure pull out your battery (yourself) and take it to one of those battery sales only places and have them check it professionally. Remember they are in the business of selling batteries and if yours is weak they will let you know.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I too have a 13 550 and the starter sounds like it is barely turning over. The other day when it was cold (bout 28) I started it but it seemed like it almost wouldn't catch, but it did. I have checked the battery and it checks out fine using a chart and battery tester made for that size battery..

I refuse to put anything on a battery tender. I think it gives false actual battery indication of being full.

If my battery is weak I want to know about it before i get 40 miles from the trail head and it dies.

To be sure pull out your battery (yourself) and take it to one of those battery sales only places and have them check it professionally. Remember they are in the business of selling batteries and if yours is weak they will let you know.
If I didn't use a tender, I would be buying a new battery after every couple of snow plowing sessions. The charging systems on these wheelers can't keep the battery fully charged when running lights, hand warmers, winching, etc running lower rpms.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Owners manual says this:

"Extreme Use 30 AH Battery
If your factory-installed 18 AH battery cannot maintain a charge because of operation in extreme cold or with multiple electrical accesso- ries, please see your POLARIS dealer to purchase a 30 AH battery."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts