Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took machine for a ride this afternoon it has a total of about 30 miles on it. I started climbing some pretty good hills on the powerline and when I got up on top it had a very noticeable whine that fluctuated with the motor rpm. I turned around and came back toward home and as I got closer to home the whine started to get quieter. when I pulled into the yard the whine was still there but much quieter. I shut it off for a couple hours and went back out and started it , the whine was gone.. The noise was there even when it was in park after I got back. Has anyone had this problem, what is turning besides the motor when the motor is running in park. could it be the clutch? or is there a transfer case that is turning? anyone got any ideas? thanks.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Damn,.......how many places did you post this?

Were you in high range at slow speed? Sounds like you heated up the belt, it started slipping, causing the noise. After it cooled, no slip, no noise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, I was in high range at a slow speed, I am going to take it for a ride tomorrow and climb the same hill only in low range and see what happens.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Sounds to me that is the problem. The 550 will do most anything in high gear so it is easy to leave it there. Best to put in low when climbing or running slowly in bush or tight trails when at low speed. Your belt will thank you.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Read the manual, states slower than 7mph, use low range. Also take into account the hill and terrain. Hopefully your belt is ok, most likely shorted it's life considerably.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
most likely shorted it's life considerably.

I was thinking the same thing. I still haven't really opened up my 550 nor gone over 30MPH. I'm getting close to recommended break in miles & time. I know the latter is up for debate but I've generally had good experience following manufacturers recommendations for break-ins.

EDIT: I'm a stickler for using low gear probably for more often then needed as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts