Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took machine for a ride this afternoon and started climbing a long hill on the powerline. almost to the top and noticed that there was a very noticeable whine that changed with the engine rpm. I turned around and headed toward home. as I got closer to home the noise had reduced considerably but it was still there. When I got into my dooryard I put the machine in park and increased the rpm on the motor and the whine fluctuated with the motor rpm even in park. Anyone run into this. the machine only has about 30 miles on it. when the engine is running is there a transfer case that is turning, if nothing is turning except the motor could the noise be coming from the clutch. I turned the machine off and after about two hours I started it back up and the noise was gone???any ideas what to check?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sounds like the cvt. When you say whine are we taking lould like can't hear yourself think, or under the noise of the motor? If it's not loud I'd say it's normal

It's just a thang

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Was this long climb in high range? What speed? Sounds as if the belt got heated up, may have been slipping a bit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it was fairly loud, It definitely wasn't normal, I haven't put many miles on it but I have put enough to know I haven't heard it like that before. I know what you mean by normal, I noticed the normal sound as soon as I traded in my arctic cat which didn't make any noise to this one which has a suttle whine all the time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I took it back up the same hill only this time I was going along faster and had it in low range. Got to the top and no unusual noises. You guys were right I must have heated up the belt. thanks, if it wasn't your suggestions I would have taken it back to the dealer. wk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts