Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. New to the forum as well as Polaris ATVs. I used the search to find info but couldn't find what I'm looking for. Bought my 2013 500 ho and wanting to upgrade to the biggest tire possible without a clutch kit. I Don't mind doing a lift. I ride a few trials and gravel, the asphalt a little. Not much. And the rest mud. I really like the look of skinnies so that's what im going for. Assuming they are 9 wide? And upgrading rims as well. All info is appreciated. Trying too keep up with my buddies and their 420s in the mud! Lol I like the aggressive look. Thanks

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
A lot of guys here really like the maxxis zilla. You could probably get away with 28"zillas because they are light. I'm working on getting 27" zillas myself for the winter. There definitely are a lot of tires to choose from. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Curious of how the zillas wear compared to the stock tires. Like the carlisle 489s
It will be very similar since both are made of soft lightweight rubber. That's how they keep the weight down.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I went with the 26" Zillas, on OEM rims. I have 2500km on them now and they are wearing pretty good. Edge of lugs starting to round a bit, but still lots of rubber above the solid part of the lug. Knowing what I know now, I would have gone with 27" Zillas. I was concerned about slowing down too much, or busting up gear so I went a bit small. I know I'd be fine with the 27's, and possibly gain more then the 1/2" you think you would. The bigger tires seem to run closer to advertised size. They ride and handle very smooth, in fact my next tires could be a little big more aggressive... Something like a 27" mega mayhem... Still ride decent, but have just a bit more mud traction. These bikes / stock axles do not like a lift at all, so keep that in mind when trying to make room for 28's.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I have ran 26" Kenda K299's, 27" Vampires, and currently have 26" Zilla's on my 500. I like the zilla's the best, the vampires sucked, and the kenda's were a good improvement over the stockers but lacked the tread depth I was looking for. They were AWESOME in snow, i hope the zilla's are as good as the k299's were. There is a video floating around of a 500 with 30" Black Mamba's LOL so pretty sure almost any tire out there will be fine with proper clutching. With the vampires, even with a clutch kit I lost a bit of acceleration and the vampires aren't really THAT heavy for a true mud tire.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Mayhems & Outlaws are super aggressive so I imagine you'll lose some power without proper clutching. FUSE I really like the bighorns but for the snow I want a lighter tire with more bite.

·
Registered
319 Posts
you stated that you do not want to do a clutch kit. in order to turn a tire as heavy as a mayhem or OL2 you will need one. It not only will give back your power but will save you from buying and replacing belts. If you put all the extra strain on the belt from the weight of the bigger tires ti will heat up and slip and then you will need a new one. I have my 500 set up for mud so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
A clutch kit is the best $200 spent on your bike, its not nearly as complicated as people think. Gr8twyte is right, better performance and belt life.
Stick to zillas if you don't wanna clutch it.

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
Mayhems & Outlaws are super aggressive so I imagine you'll lose some power without proper clutching. FUSE I really like the bighorns but for the snow I want a lighter tire with more bite.
Rode with a guy Last winter with zillas they work really well in the snow.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Rode with a guy Last winter with zillas they work really well in the snow.
That's good to know... they look like they would.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I put 27" zillas with ITP wheels on mine with no clutch kit and all is well

·
Registered
93 Posts
A clutch kit is the best $200 spent on your bike, its not nearly as complicated as people think. Gr8twyte is right, better performance and belt life.
Stick to zillas if you don't wanna clutch it.
Amen to that. I think everyone should get a clutch kit. Best $$ I've spent. I'm wondering. What's your reason behind not wanting a clutch kit? It's a simple easy upgrade and you can ask anyone and they will tell you the improvement. But as far as your question. .. something lite, like zillas would be ok

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Well whats a good , cheaper clutch kit? And would a clutch kit let these machines pull terminators?
PM ridinagain hes a dealer for QSC clutch kits.
He will ask you a few questions like, elevation and tire size to give you a more personalized setup.
I'm sure you could run 28x10 terms if you have enough clearance for them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
@ 807vikingmetal, a little off subject here but you like those turner eagles?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't think it'd look bad, no. But I run 28x9 in the front, 28x11 in the rear. No lift, no rubbing

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm kind of wanting a mud tire that still manages to run fairly smooth on hardback. Would an outlaw radial or mst be something to look into as well? Any suggestions welcome

1 - 20 of 20 Posts