Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a clutch kit recommended for this machine with 26" tires? The dealer sold it to me new with the wheel/tire combo installed but I didnt think to ask. Clutch engagement in high on a smooth flat surface is around 1700-1800 rpm. I know the tires arent huge but I hear they weigh a bunch. Just looking to avoid belt issues, my old cat 650 v2 was geared so high it ate belts with 27s and a clutch kit on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
What tires are you running? A QSC kit will make much better use of the power available to you and adjust for your larger then stock tires, while also giving smoother engagement.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sedona ripsaw r/ts. 26x11x14 and 26x9x14.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I noticed 0 power loss when I went to the 26" Bear Claws from stock. Someday I will be getting a clutch kit from ridinagain though because it seems that most everybody who has installed one loves it.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I would say with the RipSaws on a 500 yes you need it. That is one heavy tire and I would have them on my 550 if they were not so dam heavy. Dealer should have recommended something else for your 500.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I run 26" ripsaws on my 850 and it killed that. Can't imagine what a turd a 500 is with them. You will be destroying belts in high gear in no time I bet. If you order a kit from anyone get one set up for 28" tires. That will help offset the weight of the ripsaws.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks guys. I havent been on a quad in a few years but im not a power junky on them, the 500 seems to go fine to me with them?

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
:silvia:
Ok thanks guys. I havent been on a quad in a few years but im not a power junky on them, the 500 seems to go fine to me with them?
Order a QSC kit from ridinagain ASAP. Not only will it give u a lot of lost power back it will save ur belt n clutch from a bunch of wear.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
If you would have ridden the 500 before the upgraded tires, you would notice a difference. You will notice it more if stabbing the throttle, when going up inclines, crawling through mud, or pushing/pulling. If you do normal trail riding you can get away without, but your belt life will suffer. It's not going to explode your first time out, but it's life will be decreased. I always recommend a clutch kit when changing tire sizes, even if it is only one size. Sometimes you cant feel the difference, but your belt surely does. A clutch kit will increase your belt life.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So is this the kit I should get? Im low elevation so that's easy but get the one for 27-28s?

Sportsman 400 Clutch Kits

Even though the link says 400 it comes up for 500s lol.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Get qsc. Do it do it now

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Order placed!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
You wont be disappointed! I have same size wheels but procomp tires, not sure of the weight. I didn't think it was bad stock but i had cash to burn at the time, so i ordered a QSC kit from Ryan. Installed and never looked back...best gain for the buck for sure.

The first 500 miles I put on the quad was with the oversized wheel/tire combo and stock clutch. It was mostly 2up laid back trail riding/sight seeing. When I pulled the clutch cover to install the QSC kit, I was honestly quite shocked at how much belt material was stuck to the cover. The belt was slipping big time and never really knew it. Since the clutch upgrade I have put another 400 miles on it. I just recently pulled cover for spring inspection and there was no where near the amount of crap inside other than typical dust. I've seen and felt the difference from stock clutch compared to QSC kit and it was a no brainer for me. For every action, there is a reaction. Anytime one deviates from stock size tire/wheel size, the clutching and/or gearing should be matched accordingly.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
You wont be disappointed! I have same size wheels but procomp tires, not sure of the weight. I didn't think it was bad stock but i had cash to burn at the time, so i ordered a QSC kit from Ryan. Installed and never looked back...best gain for the buck for sure.

The first 500 miles I put on the quad was with the oversized wheel/tire combo and stock clutch. It was mostly 2up laid back trail riding/sight seeing. When I pulled the clutch cover to install the QSC kit, I was honestly quite shocked at how much belt material was stuck to the cover. The belt was slipping big time and never really knew it. Since the clutch upgrade I have put another 400 miles on it. I just recently pulled cover for spring inspection and there was no where near the amount of crap inside other than typical dust. I've seen and felt the difference from stock clutch compared to QSC kit and it was a no brainer for me. For every action, there is a reaction. Anytime one deviates from stock size tire/wheel size, the clutching and/or gearing should be matched accordingly.
This machine only has 9 miles on it im trying to get it all set before the trails open. Did you notice a big power difference between the stock clutch and the qsc? I see you have rhino rear axles, did your stockers break? Oh and did you notice a loss in top speed after the kit?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Troy5061 I also run the Sedona Ripsaw R/T's on my 2012 500 HO only in the stock size (25-10-12) and (25-8-12). The Ripsaws run small as far as the height of the tire and 26" are actually around 25"s. These are great practically indestructible tires but they are radials and heavier. I noticed a lag in torque and get up and go on the low end when I switched from the stock tires which I was OK with at first but decided it should be clutched properly to save on premature belt wear and I wanted the power back that I should have for that machine. I really didn't miss the power loss until I got it back and then some with a qsc clutch kit. Its nice to know that low and mid range power to the ground is there when you want it. I am very glad I went with it. I got mine from Ridinagain who was very helpful and he set me up perfect for low altitude. I was going to install it myself but my Polaris Dealer only wanted $100 to drop it in so I let them do it. The kit was $219 I think.
For a total of $319 its the most bang for your buck to upgrade your performance. You won't regret it and will be happy you went with it, it best for the machine.

·
Registered
729 Posts
The kit will come with 2 shims that you can use for which rpm/engagement you would like. The thinner shim gives you around 1800 rpm engagement and in my opinion is perfect. It is torquey enough where you notice the stronger grab on the belt and the increase in pull. The thicker shim grabs I think at 2200rpm and was in my opinion a little too froggy pulling out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
This machine only has 9 miles on it im trying to get it all set before the trails open. Did you notice a big power difference between the stock clutch and the qsc? I see you have rhino rear axles, did your stockers break? Oh and did you notice a loss in top speed after the kit?
The power difference is night & day especially in low to mid range, which is where most prefer. Way more engine torque is able to make its way to the wheels with less belt slippage. As far as top speed I'm not certain....if anything maybe 1-2mph but it gets to that point much faster/efficiently.

The axle breakage was sadly my own fault. One day after snowplowing I decided to unhook and go for a little rip in a small pasture down the drive, I intended to just make a loop around and come back to shop because it was friggin cold. It was blown in with snow couple feet deep....started to spin out in a drift so I started rockin it side to side when I heard a pop, looked down and I was digging up frozen grass and dirt. I had tire chains on for plowing and once those vbars on chains started digging ground something was gonna give. Live and learn! LOL

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you for all the help guys, I ordered the QSC kit yesterday for 27-28" tires. Now you guys got me all excited to see the difference. Im not too worried about the top speed, if it will still do 55 mph I would be happy. I planned on doing the install myself but the secondary clutch it looks like you need a clutch compressor so Im calling around today to get install prices or I may just buy the tool. Hopefully I can keep axles in it after!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts