Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I'm new here. Have decided to finally pull the trigger and get a toy I've been wanting since I was a kid. I was pretty sold on the 500 HO, but I went and test drove both the 500 and a 550 XP today, and I really liked the smoothness of the EFI on the 550 XP. I don't know if that alone is enough to justify the increased pricetag, so what else does the 550 XP give me over the 500 HO that would make it worth the extra expense? Or would I be better off just sticking with the 500?

Machine will be used primarily for fun trail riding in the Southeast, with some work around my property. I don't want to be limited by the 500's lack of EFI, but the chances of me ever taking the machine to the altitudes where EFI is really helpful are slim.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I too bought my first ATV this yr. I bought the 500 touring HO. The main thing I wanted was 2 up. This machine rides beautiful. No problems with carburetor..starts most the time without choke...I do mostly trail
riding. Great machine for the price

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
These are plusses I find on my 550 and many will see them as cons.

•550 (optional power steering) although there are aftermarket kits as well

• IMO sportier handling / don't get me wrong all will have nice compliant ride but suspension should be better on the 550 and will handle better in the curves. My 700 has basically the same setup as the 500 although I have never ridden a 500. Shocks all the way around on 550 and struts on front of 500.

• EFI on 550 (easier to deal with if you did leave stale fuel in quad) / should be better fuel mileage as well

• IIRC larger fuel tank on 550

• IMO easier to access battery that will stay cleaner

• ADC on 550

•Seating position on 550

• Digital Dashboard

•All headlights come on with high beam without a mod kit

• Body parts seem to fit together better and more modern look

• Better looking rims

• .25" greater ground clearance

• Higher tow rating (1500 versus 1225 on 500)

• Oil change is more traditional on 550

Just a few and just my opinion...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The biggest difference I think is the ride and narrower seat on the 550 do a lot to lower fatigue. The EFI is nice, more so if you live up north during the winters. These three and the EPS make the 550 a real joy to own. I am in my mid 50s, the combination of these options are what helped my make the choice.

Of course you have to buy what is right for you and your style of riding. You must also consider the budget. Nobody wants to be in the position of thinking, why did I spend all that money every time they look at their new machine.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Of course you have to buy what is right for you and your style of riding. You must also consider the budget. Nobody wants to be in the position of thinking, why did I spend all that money every time they look at their new machine.
Totally agree!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input, guys. I really think the 500 is everything I could ever need. I think my mind is made up, honestly. The 550 that I tested today didn't have the EPS, and I'm not sold on the value of that feature anyways. I could tell a difference in the smoothness of the EFI, but not enough to justify the cost. I can buy a lot of accessories for the 500, by not spending the extra money on the 550.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks for the input, guys. I really think the 500 is everything I could ever need. I think my mind is made up, honestly. The 550 that I tested today didn't have the EPS, and I'm not sold on the value of that feature anyways. I could tell a difference in the smoothness of the EFI, but not enough to justify the cost. I can buy a lot of accessories for the 500, by not spending the extra money on the 550.
Try the EPS before you knock it. I said I wouldn't have it until I road a quad with it and it makes a world of difference

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
OK guys, I'm new here. Have decided to finally pull the trigger and get a toy I've been wanting since I was a kid. I was pretty sold on the 500 HO, but I went and test drove both the 500 and a 550 XP today, and I really liked the smoothness of the EFI on the 550 XP. I don't know if that alone is enough to justify the increased pricetag, so what else does the 550 XP give me over the 500 HO that would make it worth the extra expense? Or would I be better off just sticking with the 500?

Machine will be used primarily for fun trail riding in the Southeast, with some work around my property. I don't want to be limited by the 500's lack of EFI, but the chances of me ever taking the machine to the altitudes where EFI is really helpful are slim.

Thanks for the input.
Go ride the new 2014 Sportsman 570. It's fuel injected and has a narrower seat such as on the 550 and has EPS as an option

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
I have a 2010 550. Came w/no eps. I added it aftermarket and it's great.
Aside from that, the 550's A-arm suspension is far and above the strut suspension of the 500/570. Handling, on tight, slow trails, even without eps is far better. The narrow seat is not that alone, the engine is turned 90 deg. and allows for a more narrow area all the way to the footboards. Way more comfortable on extended rides, IMO. A lot of these differences are not immediately noticeable when you do test drives. I had ridden a friends 500 quite a bit before I looked my purchase. It was an easy decision to go with the 550. The 500/570 are definitely nice rides and you can't go wrong with either one. It's a decision you should make after really looking at the differences. For me, the efi and suspension alone would do the trick.
Good luck with whichever ride you choose. :veryhappy:

·
Registered
668 Posts
What is your dealer getting for both machines? Should be around 1000 more for a non eps 550. It is worth it. A good dealer should be selling 2013 550s without EPS for about $6300 give or take.

·
Premium Member
10,623 Posts
i'll tell u what, if i was in the market for a 500cc bike i would definetly look into a 570 le. the way i see it the 570le has all the "older proven techology" along with the more modern options like power steering and efi. sounds like this is all new to u and if it is i'm sure it can get overwhelming at times, i know im relatively new to quading also, but dont underestimate the powersteering advantages that come with these machines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I went into this wanting to get a quad that has a great reputation for durability and simplicity. Now y'all have me looking at the creature comforts and wondering if I should pony up the added cash for them. To put things into perspective, until my test drives yesterday, I'd never driven a quad with an automatic transmission, lol. So ANYTHING these days is going to be much better than what I have ridden in the past. I'm going to put some serious thought into it this week, and try to test drive as many different options as possible. I'll certainly be back to let y'all know what I decide.

Thanks again,
Bob

·
Premium Member
10,623 Posts
if ur going in with that attitude at the very least give the king of the fleet a ride. 850xp EPS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went into this wanting to get a quad that has a great reputation for durability and simplicity.
Thanks again,
Bob
You mean a Grizzly? :chairfall:
Am I missing the sarcasm? Honestly, I've always had a fondness for Polaris, so that's where I went when I decided to start looking, but if I need to consider other brands, please let me know.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I went into this wanting to get a quad that has a great reputation for durability and simplicity.
Thanks again,
Bob
You mean a Grizzly? :chairfall:
Am I missing the sarcasm? Honestly, I've always had a fondness for Polaris, so that's where I went when I decided to start looking, but if I need to consider other brands, please let me know.
Yes, you are missing the sarcasm. You're on the right track, just go choose your engine

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
For simplicity and ease of maintenace choose the 500. If you want one that takes a little more to do the maintenance choose the 550. I have both and for long rides I will pick my 500 all day long and for rides that are a little more sporty I will take the 550. If you want to ride it and worry about less maintenance choose the 500 but if you like tinkering with your machine choose the 550. The 550 or 850 line just need more TLC to keep things running smooth. If you aren't going up in altitude I would get the tried and proven 500 and sink the money you saved into some nice accessories.

Ronnie

1 - 19 of 19 Posts