Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend we went for a long trail ride. It was a lot of rocky trails so it was slower and bumpy. Every time I stopped to an idle the battery light flashed? I would give her some gas and it would go away. I checked battery connection and everything was tight there, however the headlights seemed really dim the entire ride. We did ride 150 miles after I first noticed it and we stopped and checked out the sights, and she started right up like normal but battery light flashed at every idle moment. has anyone ever had this problem?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I'd probably start off with the easy stuff and get a load test done on that battery. It doesn't sound like it is operating at 100% capacity. In fact far less.

What is the voltage reading of battery with quad off?

·
Registered
805 Posts
I have the three light mod done with HIDs on mine as well. If I ride for a long time with all three lights AND its hot out so the fan runs a lot, the batt light will flash at idle. If i kill the top light it stops flashing. Ive checked everything. I think the stator just can keep up with all three lights, cooling fan motor, and tail/brake lights at idle. I was going to install a YTX20HLBS battery and see if that helps.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I have the three light mod done with HIDs on mine as well. If I ride for a long time with all three lights AND its hot out so the fan runs a lot, the batt light will flash at idle. If i kill the top light it stops flashing. Ive checked everything. I think the stator just can keep up with all three lights, cooling fan motor, and tail/brake lights at idle. I was going to install a YTX20HLBS battery and see if that helps.
^^^^ This sounds very logical to me:cowboy:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I actually had the same issue about a month ago when i was riding in Mena, AR. The trails are rocky with a lot of slow climbing. It had not rained in a few weeks so it was extremely dusty. I would get the light because the trails required lights to be on and because of the dust the fan stayed running to keep bike cool. It went away as soon as i gave it some RPM's and when we got back to camp cleaned out the radiator and fan no issues since and still starts like a champ.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you read the manual it states that the battery is not in a charging state until the engine RPM's are at or above 4,000. So slow riding causes the fan to kick on and then add the lights to that, this would cause your issue. Look at deep cycle battery to help this. I have had this same issue as well. I have not replaced my battery yet but I make sure to get on it as often as I can. Where I ride it's pretty slow going most of the time, if I keep it in low my RPM's tend to stay higher as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts