Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Extremely excited about the upcoming purchase of my first Polaris and want to be sure I make the right decision for such a sizable investment. Looking for suggestions on wether to go with 21013 550 Browning LE with PS versus a stock 850xp. Price is almost identical at $7700 and $7500 respectively. I will be using the four wheeler mainly for hunting purposes however we do make a ride once a year thru some tough deep mud trails. Wondering if its better to go with the 550 , power steering, and all the bells and whistles already installed or go with more horsepower without power steering and add racks / winch as time passes?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Both are great options, I doubt you will be disappointed with either but here are my thoughts. Once you ride with power steering you will never want an ATV without it. The 550 you are considering has more power than any ATV that was on the market 10 years ago. If it is your first wheeler it will be plenty of power, arguably safer for you, and have better mileage than the 850. If you are not a total horsepower junkie and do not suffer form man with small motor syndrome, go with the 550.

If you are like me and believe you only have enough horsepower if you can spin your tires from the exit of any turn until you brake for the following turn, get the 850. Then you can live like every ATV owner did up until a few years ago (without power steering).

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
09 850 no ps and it turns easy love the power and the 550 are nice to I have heard

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Ride both and you will know which 1 is for you

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
That's a hard one. I'm not on the PS bandwagon just yet, But I'm also not into more horsepower then anyone will ever need...

I'm a hunter so I can see that side of your decision, But the 850 is a sweet ass bike to pass up as well.

I have a 550 for hunting and working on the farm and it dose anything that is needed, I would not benefit in any way by having more horsepower.
But like said before if you have the slightest urge that you need to be the fastest or feel like #1 you will always regret getting a midsize bike.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
One thing I did not like about the Browning Edition is that it comes with steel wheels. It has a winch and other stuff. I would miss the power steering but it is one of those things that if you have not had it, you wont miss it. Ride both and see what you think.

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
I don't think it is so much feeling like you need to be the fastest, or #1, and I don't totally agree that it is more power than you will ever need. Depends on how and where you ride.
Really can't go wrong with either machine. Glad it's you that has to decide between the two, not me. I love the 850, but now that I have power steering, I wouldn't buy another without it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Personally I have ridden a PS ATV and I have to say it is very nice option to have. On the other hand I drive a 550 a lot and I wish I had the 850. Of course I'm 19 years old though........ not sure if that has anything to do with it or not........:ponder:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Welcom BTW!

·
Registered
301 Posts
The power steering is a must have....I'm big on HP and I would sacrifice a smaller motor any day to have PS

·
Registered
28 Posts
I say save up so you can have both. I have an 850 yet still was a little disappointed in its' output. Thought it would have some serious pull. And most peeps consider PS a must have.

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
Personally I have ridden a PS ATV and I have to say it is very nice option to have. On the other hand I drive a 550 a lot and I wish I had the 850. Of course I'm 19 years old though........ not sure if that has anything to do with it or not........:ponder:
I've got 30 years on you, and the 850 is great. Don't think it is just the young man in you...... :veryhappy:

·
Registered
348 Posts
I came from 2 500HO without powersteering and had the option of either a 550 or 850 8 months ago, I went with the 850. PS is nice, but the XP handles alot better than my 500HO even without PS. I'm use to feedback when I steer, didn't seem like there was any with the EPS. My wife who doesn't drive all that often on my 850 even says she wouldn't want to change a thing with the steering as it is better than the 500HO was. The power is great but the mileage is about what my 500HO was. Eitherway, you will have a great ATV between your legs. You just need to decide if the EPS is really worth it. For me at an extra $1k for EPS it wasn't.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Ur good with either one. If you dont feel like dealing or paying for the extra stuff like the winch, gun rack, and the other stuff just go with the 550 browing. Plus the Browning additions will always bring more in the resale...

·
Registered
162 Posts
You face a tough decision. I love power steering and everyone who rides my quad that never had PS loves the EPS as well.
The other thing they love is the power. There's nothing wrong with a 500 class motor. And, you'll get better mileage. But, if you want a bad a$$ wheeler, save for EPS and the 850. Mileage will suffer. Steering will be awesome. Smile will be large!

You can't go wrong either way. Personally, I love the touring model. Lots of room, and very stable on the hills.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Well I can tell you from personal experience that both are great machines!

I've got the 850 without power steering and the 550 with power steering. I get to choose which one to drive when I go out and I always take the 850. The power steering on these machines is nice but I just like the power more :)

My wife and son love the power steering. Both are totally capable machines and the 550 goes everywhere the 850 goes. If your really undecided get the 850 with power steering.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have over 7800 miles on a 2009 Browning 550 XP without EPS. I recently purchased a 2013 Browning with EPS. The EPS one is the one I will ride.

The EPS is a major assist if you ride rough rocky trails or need to ride standing on one side on a steep side hill. There are plenty of both in Idaho. It is also a major help if you are hauling weight or packing a passenger. It also helps combat rider fatigue on long rides.

If you are a hunter, make sure you get a machine with rear work lights. You really haven't lived until you have backed up an ATV in a real bad spot with a flash light between your teeth.

Two of us did the Magruder Corridor in 2011 riding identical 2009 Browning 550s without EPS. Both machines averaged over 27 MPG over the 450 miles we put on the machines. We carried extra gas, but didn't need it.

The 850 will run faster than the 550, but the 550 has more power than you will ever need. If this is your first ATV, start with the 550!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Extremely excited about the upcoming purchase of my first Polaris and want to be sure I make the right decision for such a sizable investment. Looking for suggestions on wether to go with 21013 550 Browning LE with PS versus a stock 850xp. Price is almost identical at $7700 and $7500 respectively. I will be using the four wheeler mainly for hunting purposes however we do make a ride once a year thru some tough deep mud trails. Wondering if its better to go with the 550 , power steering, and all the bells and whistles already installed or go with more horsepower without power steering and add racks / winch as time passes?

Just wondering if you have an update for us? Which did you decide to go with? Just curious...

biz
:ponder:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts