Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 850 EXP EPS with about 300 miles on it. I rode it yesterday and about 20 miles into the run it started overheating. I did ride through soupy mud, but only up to the bottom of the quad. The radiator was clean when I started out, and became clogged. I hosed it out and continued with the ride. I previously owned a 2003 700 and this only happened once. I noticed on my 2013 that the radiator appears less protected on the sides from collecting debris. In addition the fan on my 2013 does not continue to run when I turn the ignition off, and then turn it back on with out the engine running like it did with my 2003. I would appreciate any feed back on this issue. Thank you.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Check the fan relay. There is also a circuit breaker that could be the culprit. Temp sensor is another.
Running the fan with the motor off does nothing to cool the engine. The coolant must flow through the block to cool the engine.
Best of luck! And a service manual will save you some headaches!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chicken Hawk, I figured the same with the fan running with the motor off, but I was just curious because my 2003 ran with the engine off, and some of the 2011 and 12s do the same thing. Thanks

·
Registered
417 Posts
It's normal, my fan doesn't operate unless the atv is started.

12 850EPS

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have the '13 850 XP Touring and was having the 'overheat' issue. The rads on these are a pain in the ass to clean. To make it easier go to an RV/Trailer dealer and buy a 'RV Water Heater Rinser'. It is just a small wand with a flow control that you can attech to a garden hose. It has a 45-90 tip and you will be able to get all those hard to reach places.

My issue was a sticky thermostat. Before that they tried a fan relay, thermo coupler and circuit breaker which made no difference.

The fan will not run with the key off like the regular sportmans did as the circuit is wired differently (according to the polaris mechanic).

Is yours overheating to the point of shut down? Or is the temp light flashing and you go into a 'limp mode'? When you get the overheat warning is your fan turning? (If not might be the thermostat or relay) If so does it seem to be turning at full speed (If turning slow might be the circuit breaker)

When mine would do it the fan was not turning at all but would idle for hours working properly. Was only when I was riding it that it would happen and apparently the thermostat would stick intermittently. Once that was changed I have had zero issues on 3 separate 50+ mile rides (one was extremely muddy).

·
Registered
173 Posts
The dealer did mine.

Does it does this only when you are riding or will it do it just idling?

When the machine starts to sputter have you checked to see if the fan is running?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was still under warranty so that's why I had them do mine. Are you still under warranty?

Pretty sure the rad has to come out to change the thermostat and everything taken apart to make that happen.

If you can work a trouble light or flashlight in behind your rad can you see through all parts of it? If not try spraying it down with 'super clean' and put the hose to it (back to front if possible) Or if you have a water source nearby like lake, river, boat launch sink the front end let soak and reverse out hard a few times.

The fan relay and the circuit breaker that was mention earlier are easy to swap out.

The thermo coupler is under the left side panel screwed into the engine block and it is a little tough to get at.

·
Registered
173 Posts
There is a thread on here where a guy has actual service manuals you can download/order from him...I think he was charging $8.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
There is a thread on here where a guy has actual service manuals you can download/order from him...I think he was charging $8.
polaristech1 is the guys name. Many of us have dealt with him. They are true factory service manuals.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The thermostat is right on top of the motor held in with two bolts, easy too change out. But kinda pricy, at 80$ .personally I'd change out the circuit breaker for the fan at the same time, they are known too cause the fan too run but not run fast enough too cool things down.

12 850EPS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts