Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. First post here was hoping someone could help. I recently bought a used 2013 sportsman 850 xp ho with 380 miles and 170 hours. I love this Cadillac ATV! As precaution I replaced all fluids washed and greased suspension. Also I wanted to change belt as I didn't know its condition. When I removed it all looked clean and in good shape with clutches. However I noticed driven clutch had wobble when spun by hand. Being an auto mechanic this concerned me. I removed clutch and checked input shaft with dial indicator. It is perfect. Is this normal? Videos I've seen of driven clutch spinning shows no wobble at all. I put it all back together with new belt and checked it running with cover off. Just off idle with belt engagement also noticed wine from driven clutch in addition to excessive run out. Is this all normal? Am I nuts? Thank you for any help.

·
8,770 Posts
No it wouldn't be normal to have a lot of runout. It may not be a major worry but if its enough to be noticeable it may cause abnormal belt wear and heat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wanted to add on the very outer edge of driven clutch it deflects about 1/16 to 1/8 of a inch. How could this happen? Major heat? Of just defect? The rollers look very clean and new. Condition definitely reflects the low milage the machine has.

·
8,770 Posts
It could be a defect in the casting or it could be something binding the moveable sheave and cocking it at an angle. You should be able to see the belt being pushed back and forth while spinning if the sheave is canted. I think you said you're getting a squeak at idle so that may be the case. As I said before, it may be nothing to worry about but if its enough to be very noticeable and the belt is squeaking you may want to take it apart to inspect the internal components for wear.
Something else that caught my attention on rereading your initial post was the miles vs. hours. At 380 miles/170 hours that would only be barely over 2 mph! Something closer to a 10 mph average would be more common to see for trail riding but I suppose its possible if the machine idled a lot or was just barely ridden around someone's property or something.
Here's a pic of the internals of the secondary.

Attachments

·
8,770 Posts
You might just ride it a while OP to put some good miles on and then see if you get excessive belt dust or notice any problems with the belt heating up and getting hard to shift. You and I both may be over thinking it lol. :grin

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for replies. Yes I too thought the milage vs hours ratio was odd. Maybe someone left key on for a while. I thought milage was turned back but machine is very clean. Yes I can see belt moving back and forth at slow speed causing hard shifts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more thing wanted to add. The bolt holding the driven clutch on was extremely tight. Way more than the 13lbs factory spec. Maybe that warped it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I disassembled it and couldn't find anything wrong. In fact it looks mint inside like it has only a few hours on it. I guess it's just warped. Hopefully used one I'm getting Monday will turn straight. I will report back.

·
8,770 Posts
That sucks!
It might would be ok but I think it'd probably cause excessive belt wear and heat.
You could check to see if Polaris might swap it out for you since its obviously a manufacturing defect??
I wouldn't get my hopes up but it never hurts to ask lol. :wink

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The bike has some excessive play in the 2 lower ball joints. I noticed that in past years they have had issues with them so I decided to call Polaris. They told me my machine had extended warranty that expired about 6 months ago. They say no known issues or recalls for those ball joints. Told me to bring it in to local dealer and submit for good will repair and they would most likely cover it. Unfortunately I have concerns I will get it back in worse condition after checking out the shop when I was in getting fluids. They agreed with me with a chuckle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update. Installed used clutch today. Wobble is 90% gone. I think I should be good from here. The used unit has 1200 miles and factory one has 380. Do you think I should swap spring? Also I bought new oem bolt and thrust washers I haven't installed yet just used old stuff so I'm sure wobble will be completely gone after that. Thank you for all your help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts