Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping it is just my imagination but my 2013 850 has a loud high pitch noise from the rear while I'm on paved road going 30 mph or more. I realize this is an overall louder machine than my wife's 570, but this is loud enough to be of concern. Changed fluids regularly and rear gear case fluid looked OK.
Anyone have this experience or am I just worried about nothing? Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Could be a.wheel bearing. How many miles and hours on the machine? Are the wheel bearings original?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has 326 miles, haven't checked the hours guessing 60? Yes they are the original ones. Was mostly used on Texas hunting lease and never water or mud submerged, mostly dusty terrain.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, basically no. Now I have 1,700 on it and I have just decided it must be one of those Gremlins. 600 +/- this summer and no breakdowns so it's possibly just a noise inherent to these. I changed fluids, greased fittings, drive belt, etc so I just ignore it until something actually breaks. Seems louder on paved roads rather than dirt roads.

·
Registered
16 Posts
From my research it seams normal. Read a thread with a video of same noise and it was concessions that it was normal sound for that machine. I beginning to see that Polaris is a noisy machine. Transmission noises differential noise belt noises ect. Being a long time mechanic and owning many jap quads this being my first polaris its driving me crazy. Cant believe what noises come from this machine that are stated as being normal. It reminds me of when cars were built mechanically loose due to poor manufacturing and the space was taken up by thick oil. I'm at the point of make sure fluids are full and drive it like I stole it. Fix it when it wont move anymore. My 2000 big bear has been completely abused for years and years. Drowned frozen flipped and left out to die. ....its all original tight and quite as a mouse. Go figure.

·
8,922 Posts
From my research it seams normal. Read a thread with a video of same noise and it was concessions that it was normal sound for that machine. I beginning to see that Polaris is a noisy machine. Transmission noises differential noise belt noises ect. Being a long time mechanic and owning many jap quads this being my first polaris its driving me crazy. Cant believe what noises come from this machine that are stated as being normal. It reminds me of when cars were built mechanically loose due to poor manufacturing and the space was taken up by thick oil. I'm at the point of make sure fluids are full and drive it like I stole it. Fix it when it wont move anymore. My 2000 big bear has been completely abused for years and years. Drowned frozen flipped and left out to die. ....its all original tight and quite as a mouse. Go figure.
LOL... Yeah the gearcases "sing" and the drivelines clunk. You sorta learn after a while that when the sounds change or get louder is when to start looking around for a possible problem. Service them regularly and inspect the oil at every change. So long as the oil looks good just keep hammering and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Polman after doing quite a bit of reading here I know you are the authority. What's you opinion of the slipped timing gear situation on my 2013. Should I tear down and weld or just roll dice and wait for something that may never happen?

·
8,922 Posts
Polman after doing quite a bit of reading here I know you are the authority. What's you opinion of the slipped timing gear situation on my 2013. Should I tear down and weld or just roll dice and wait for something that may never happen?
I'm no authority by any stretch Bigame lol. I know about what I've dealt with and the slipped gear is NOT one of them. I've read about it quit a bit though and it would probably worry me if I owned one of those machines since it can totally trash an engine if it happens at the wrong time. If it were my personal machine I'd probably look into doing it just for peace of mind during my annual deep winter service time when I ordinarily have my machine down anyway doing other maintenance work. I'm not really sure how common it is or under what circumstances it usually happens but it can be catastrophic from what I hear.
Sorry I'm not giving you a definite answer. Maybe some of these guys that have experienced it can better advise you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts