Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm new to the forum. I've done some research here in old threads and it seems I've been able to answer my question. I have stock ugly steel wheels 14 inch. My research has found 14x6 front and 14x8 rear. I want to get the Bighorn 26x9x14 front and 26x11x14 rear. I shouldn't have any sway bar interference issues on the rear, as I do believe polaris updated the sway bar for aftermarket tires.

My question is, Maxxis recommends a 14x7 rim for both the front and rear combination I want. My front being 14x6 and rear being 14x8, am I going to have any negative side effects from using the bighorn size combination with the stock steel wheels? I'd like to maintain machine width, and increase my traction and handling characteristics over the stock tires. They suck, especially in anything soupy. I realize the bighorn is not a mud tire, but I'm not in deep cavernous mud holes all day long anyways, mostly hard pack with the occasional mud hole.

I just couldn't find anything that said, with a rim size x by x, you can safely go X amount of inches wider with a tire. I'm trying to determine if I should invest in an aftermarket rim solution as well. I'd prefer not to, but I want to enhance handling and ride of my machine. Thanks in advance for your help. Glad to be a member of this knowledgeable forum!

cr9c1

·
Super Moderator
7,182 Posts
You will be fine with your OEM wheels. Here's mine with that tire setup on it. I realize you have steel wheels, but they are the same dimensions as mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great, glad to hear it. I wasn't aware the aluminum wheels that came standard on these were 14x6 and 14x8, same as steel, identical offset, etc. Did you notice any loss in top speed or power drops? I know the bighorns are heavy tires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I may have changed my mind on the Bighorns. I had no idea Kenda had the Bearclaw in radial. I was disappointed when I couldn't find the bias ply bearclaws in 14 inch, but apparently, they are the Bearclaw HTR. It looks like a sweet tire, and its 8 ply. They come in around 25 pounds per tire front (tire only), and 29 rear. Should this be a problem? How about speedometer calibration, they are still 26 inch so it shouldn't affect it at all if any, yes?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I've heard good things on both tires. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Same as others said, no fitment issues going to the size tires you are looking at. As far as a clutch kit for the heavier tires, you'll get mixed reviews. Those that have stock clutching on an 850 that have not ridden on our with one that had a clutch kit in it, will tell you it's fine with the heavier tires. On the other hand, those that have ridden an 859 with a clutch kit will all agree it's the best money they spent on their machine. Stock tires or not. The Speedo calibration will be off a little if you get a taller tire, but not enough to worry about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to hear it. The speedometer shouldn't be off then since I'm only going wider, and not taller, and only by an inch. 26 tall and 14 diameter remains unchanged.

I was also unaware till a few days ago that there is actually a difference between the Sportsman XP 850 and the Sportsman XP 850 HO. Apparently I have 7 more horsepower or so, and the machine is incredible. I can get the Bighorns from Rocky Mountain who provide fast shipping and excellent customer service, but I can't get the Bearclaw HTR from them. I would have to get them from another supplier, so I will probably get the Bighorns. I think they will do great for the type of riding I do.

·
Super Moderator
7,182 Posts
You won't be disappointed with the Bighorns. Really not that heavy. You want heavy, you should weigh my Rockers. :) Even with them a clutch kit isn't needed. It's an 850 you're riding, not a 550. Bolt them on and go. You will be impressed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. I was concerned with the heavier tires, but my brother said, you have the BDM (big d*** model), it'll spin them fine. I trail ride between 60-70mph because a lot of our trails are open flat out runs, for miles, and I didn't want to lose any of my top end since I've had my machine somewhere between 76-78 flat out, but usually about 60-70. I do like having more to go though, its fun to play around with and remind me of why I spent more on the "BDM". ;)

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
You won't be disappointed with the Bighorns. Really not that heavy. You want heavy, you should weigh my Rockers. :) Even with them a clutch kit isn't needed. It's an 850 you're riding, not a 550. Bolt them on and go. You will be impressed.
Bob, I want to make a believer out of you. Lol. Pm me your address and I'm going to ship you a kit for your 850. Take an hour, install it, spend a day riding with it. If you like it, pass the word and send them my way. If you don't, take it out and give it to someone else.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ridinagain, any top end loss on a clutch kit? Do you think its even necessary with the regular 26" bighorns? From what I hear, mine is tad more powerful than the 850XP, since its the HO. Something to do with larger throttle bodies and airbox or some crap.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
No difference between the kits between the standard and HO. You will lose a few mph on top, but that's mostly due to the heavier tires. Do a search for 850 clutch kits on here and you will see a lot of reviews. Every one of them on a qsc kit is nothing but positive. You will gain significantly in low end and mid range, and be much quicker to get to top speed. Gets rid of the squishy 0-20 and makes the engagement smoother and more predictable too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
No difference between the kits between the standard and HO. You will lose a few mph on top, but that's mostly due to the heavier tires. Do a search for 850 clutch kits on here and you will see a lot of reviews. Every one of them on a qsc kit is nothing but positive. You will gain significantly in low end and mid range, and be much quicker to get to top speed. Gets rid of the squishy 0-20 and makes the engagement smoother and more predictable too.
Sounds good ,will the installation of the clutch kit void my warranty on a 2013 850 XP?

thanks

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I can't say if it will or not, but should have no effect on warranty. If by some chance you had a problem with a clutch due to wear from a non OEM part they may find a way to weasel out of it, but not likely. I've been doing business with my local dealer for 20+ years since buying my first new sled in 94. They treat me great and wouldn't have any issue with it. I've heard stories with bigger tires that dealers won't cover stuff due to "abuse". Can't imagine that a clutch kit would be an issue, but you never know. I'd call the dealer you purchased at and see what they say.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Bob, I want to make a believer out of you. Lol. Pm me your address and I'm going to ship you a kit for your 850. Take an hour, install it, spend a day riding with it. If you like it, pass the word and send them my way. If you don't, take it out and give it to someone else.
If he takes it & don't want it he can pass it on to me because I know all about clutching! Clutched & spent many hours tweeking my clutches on everyone of my Polaris sleds, lol!!!:veryhappy:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts