Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 329 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Polaris Sportsman 850 XP EPS Stealth... I just bought this quad last week from a dealer, it was a demo with 500 miles on it...

So this is my starting issue... I picked up my "new" quad at the dealer after getting them to put a set of camoplast tracks on and a glacier III blade... I loaded it up on my trailer and everything was good... Brought it home after and 1 1/2 hour drive in -15 degree Celsius weather and it started up like nothing... Took it off the trailer and drove it around and tried it out with the tracks... I put around 6 miles on it and everything was great... Turned off the quad and went in for supper, came back out a couple hours later and all I got was CLICK, CLICK, CLICK... It wouldn't start... So I pushed it into the heated garage... After about 2 hours of research on the internet it sounded like it could be a few things, starter, battery, etc... So I went to the garage and the battery seem good, 12.6 v... So I tried it again and nothing... CLICK, CLICK, CLICK... So I tried taping the starter while turning it over and the first time i did this nothing... I tried it again and all of a sudden it kind of turned over... then I tried it one more time and their she went... IT STARTED... Yes, back in action...

I called the dealer the next morning and told them what happened and they said its probably the starter and instead if taking it back and hour and a half away they would send me a new one if i could change it myself, I said I could so thats what they did...

I got my new starter a couple days later... I also went out and bought a new battery for my quad since I've head a lot of bad things about the stock batteries in these quads... I upgrade the battery to an Interstate / Yuasa YIX30L... 30aH and 385 CCA... I changed the started and replaced the battery... I tried it and it started no problem... Everything works, awesome....

The next mooring I was heading out ice fishing with my new quad, with it's new started and new battery, thinking I'll have no problems now... It started in my heated garage in the morning and I loaded on my trailer... It was -22 degrees Celsius this morning... I drove about and hour to my fishing spot, jumped on the quad to start it on the trailer... and vroom, it started no problem... I let it warm up for about 5 minutes and proceeded to back it off my trailer... I got it almost all the way off when I needed to turn just a hair while backing up and boom... IT QUIT, stalled or something... I tried starting it and CLICK,CLICK,CLICK.... What the [email protected]$k... I get the EPS light on when i try starting it but thats it... CLICK, CLICK, CLICK...

So now I called the dealer and I have to bring it in... I was just wondering if this has happened it anyone or if anyone has any ideas what the problem is...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Have you check to see if atv is charging when the engine is running. Maybe double check battery cables to make sure there tight?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't check if the battery is charging because the machine doesn't start... It's a brand new battery that was fully charged when i put it in so a dead battery is not the answer... Plus I had to winch the quad back onto my trailer using the winch and it winched on the quad without the quad running...

And the connections on the solenoid are fine... The chances of having loose connections on the solenoid on both starters would be low...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I have and that isn't the issue either... The original starter I took off works fine too as I bench tested it...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I have warranty on mine too and I'm taking it in to the dealer on Monday... I'll post what comes out of it... I'm thinking it has to do the EPS or the wiring... nothing else it could be... When I called the dealer they said it may just need to re-flashed but we'll see...

·
Registered
147 Posts
This happened to me as well. I had a new machine (2013 850 xp with EPS). I would ride it fine an then be out on the trails and shut it off. When I would start it back up it would go "click click click". My power steering light would stay on as well. Since it was brand new I took it to my dealer and they diagnosed it as a faulty connection in the headlight pod dealing with the display. They replaced the display and I haven't had a problem since. Except if I use the winch with just the key on and not the engine on draining the battery enough that it wont start. That is my fault though. I should have started it then used the winch. All I would have to do then would be to jump the battery. The dealer told me not to try the ignition more than three times because I would have to take it back to the dealer and they would have to reset something. This was due to a safety factor in the system to save the EPS. Although, I have tried it more than three times doing the "click click click" and it still worked/started.

I think your problem is the exact problem I had, and the headlight module display will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So the latest update from the dealer is they don't know what is exactly wrong... When I brought them the quad it wouldn't start and the technician tried trouble shooting the problem, he couldn't find anything so he cleaned a bunch of electrical connections and checked and cleaned the ground... He said everything looked clean and tight but he did it anyway... He tried starting it the next day and it started... They been starting it on and off all day and they are going to leave it outside for the night and try it in the morning... So they're not sure and I'm not sure of the problem... We'll see what they say tomorrow...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another update...
I talked to the dealer this morning and he told me my quad is ready for pick up... I talked to the service tech and he said they checked all relays and cleaned all of the grounds... He proceed to tell me that they have been leaving the quad outside for the past 2 days in -10C weather and it has been starting fine... He also asked me if there were any codes up when I had the quad when it didn't start, I said no, all I got was Click, Click, Click... I said when I dropped of the quad it didn't start, he then said when they looked at it started but they proceed to clean the grounds and check the relays...* So my concern is, is this an intermittent problem that still hasn't been fixed??* I just don't want to get stranded somewhere because the quad won’t start... How do you tow it back with the tracks on it in the snow??
Well I'm picking it up this afternoon and I'll give another update on how it goes after this weekend... Hopefully it was just a bad ground and the problem is fixed but I guess I find out...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mine did the same thing the first winter I had it. December 2012-april 2013. This past year I installed an Odyssey battery and didnt have any problems. I rode as cold as -30 this winter, machine is stored in an un-heated garage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a new battery... I just replaced it with a bigger battery, 30 AH 385 CCA so thats not the problem...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So here's my update after the weekend...

I picked up my quad Friday evening from the dealer and went out to the lake where I ice fish... When I got there it was dark and I thought I'm not going to bother trying to start it tonight, i'll try it in the morning so I left it on my trailer overnight... Got up in the morning, it was -20C, jumped on the quad and vroom, it started up no problem... drove it around for an hour and put it back on my trailer... Everything is good so far... Went back out a few hours later for another ride and Click.... Just one "Click" this time... I thought here we go again... I moved the gear shifter a from "Park" to "High" back to "Park" and tried it again and vroom, there it went... So i thought it was just not sitting in the park position fully... Went for another ride... Started and stopped it a few more times with no problem... This morning I got up early and thought it was a good day to go out ice fishing since it seems my quad it working great, just the one minor incident that may have been my fault... It was -27C out so I thought it may be a little hard to start and vroom, it started no problem...Went out to my fishing spot and fished for 4 hours... packed up and went to start the quad and "Click"... Just one again... Moved the gear shifter like last time and tried it again and "Click"... Checked the solenoid and starter, tried it a few more time and "Click" every time... [email protected]#Kin' Great... Now What?? I thought maybe some how a battery connection came loose so I checked them and everything was tight, tried to move the wires around but everything seemed good... Tried to start it again and all of a sudden, Vroom... It started... Went back and loaded it on my trailer... Shut it off and on a few times and it started every time... Drove home an hour away and tried it a few more times when I got home and it started every time... So what the [email protected]#K??
So in conclusion... My quad starts, just an intermittent problem of not starting now... And only one "Click" instead of the three "Click, Click, Click" after the dealer said they cleaned the grounds and checked the relays... Any ideas on this problem??

·
Registered
737 Posts
When it happens look at the dash is it reading what gear it is in or just a dash. Also if you get one click try grabbing the hand brake and see if it starts. If the wheeler isn't in park or neutral there is a safety that the brake has to be on to start. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 329 Posts