Polaris ATV Forum banner

321 - 329 of 329 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
At -35 C (-31 F) it doesn't really matter about the wind chill. I was only trying to say it was freaking cold out here, a good time to test it. And I was really hoping to have solved the problem. The fact that it started up with a boost told me that a bigger battery should do the trick. It dropped to -39C (-38.2F) here the other night.

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
There can be several reasons for your machines failure to start in the cold. Battery is one of them. Hope you get it figured out. I know the feeling all too well. If it fails to start again, try opening the cover on the front fuse/relay box and hold your bare hand on the relays for a minute, then give it a try. Those relays are marginal and the cold can play havoc with them, giving all sorts of weird problems. Maybe moisture gets to them, IDK. Loose grounds is another biggie. I have disconnected every single connector on my bike, making sure it was clean and applied some dielectric grease on the contacts.
I have not been on the ice in real cold sub zero weather this year, but I ran it around my yard in the powder snow just before that polar vortex hit, giving us -25 deg. F. It never failed to start, several times thoughout the next two days.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I purchased the bike in November knowing there were "some" issues and only put about 20 miles on it so far. I'm hoping to get it out and put some more miles on while it's still cold so I get work out the bugs. Thanks for the input it's all helpful.[

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
And kill switch was in run position I may add quick.. Mine in off won't let the dash lights even come on..
Any updates on this issue? Worth checking and reseating, are all the relays in the fuse box, up front. Check for corrsion and use some dielectric grease when you put them back.
I have seen several different issues on quite a few XPs of different years that have problems with these relays. I believe they are weak, or get moisture in them and then are inconsistent in how they work.

I have had good luck with my machine this winter - not one problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I havnt had it out in super cold recently.. But I'm pretty sure it was the relays playing tricks and the battery.. If it ever happens again which I know it will I have a good idea how to fix it so I'm not stranded.. Gonna upgrade to a 30ah battery for sure though..also gonna do the relay upgrade as well..I carry jumper cables with at all times now with it though..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah did all that. I'm down to the ecu. Either it's bad or something is telling the ecu not to send a signal. But when I start it the starter just clicks click click. But the battery isn't bad or weak neither is the starter.
I have the same issue going on with my sportsman, the only difference is that my quad starts when its inside the warm garage but when its left outside in -5 it just goes click and doesn't start. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
It
I have the same issue going on with my sportsman, the only difference is that my quad starts when its inside the warm garage but when its left outside in -5 it just goes click and doesn't start. Any suggestions?
It's a weak battery - put a meter across the battery and check the voltage when trying to start - if it dips below 10.5 it is technically dead. A lead acid battery discharges more slowly when cold which makes cold starting more difficult - warming the battery may help. Put the battery on a battery tender - the small amount of current the tender puts through the battery will increase it's internal temperature slightly.

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts

Definitely, first look is the battery, if you don't have a meter, take it to a shop and get it load tested. Next, all the wire connections - be sure they are tight and not corroded.
You did not mention the model and year of your machine.

321 - 329 of 329 Posts