Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought myself a new 850 the other week. So far I have to admit that I really enjoy riding this atv coming from mainly "sport" machines. This thing is awesome!!!

Anyway.... I have 100 miles on it so far and I was cleaning it the other day and noticed my front left tire is significantly toe'd out. I got the atv on a flat surface and adjusted the handle bars evenly, looked again and it was still toe'd out a lot more than the right tire. Is this normal on the sportsman during initial break in due to the suspension setting in and what not? I just feel as if I shouldn't be having to adjust something like this so soon on a new machine. It also explains the slight head shake I would feel while on a flat trail/road.

Thanks

·
Registered
424 Posts
The total toe-out should be zero to 1/8". That is the measure of the difference measured between the front of the left and right rims vs the back of the left and right rims. I set mine to zero - I think it tracks a little better that way.

Its a little tricky to set up an alignment reference to check that measurement. The service manual describes the process using a string.

The alignment of the handlebars to the wheels is a different (but related) issue. You can adjust the tie rods so that the wheels point straight forward when the bar is pointed straight forward.

If you think toe-in/out appears to be wrong, I would think the dealer would adjust it under warranty.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Just like curt said, take it to the dealer and they should adjust it under warranty. It came like that from the factory.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts