Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Still learning to deal with the automatic on my new Sportsman 850XP. Here is what I did today. I was climbing a creek bank in low as I am suppose to, but when I exited the bank, I was on the road and before I knew it I was up to 18mph in LOW:(. I immediately backed off and put in into HIGH and everything seemed alright. This is the FIRST time I have made this mistake and the atv has 8hrs on it now. Do you guys think I did any damage to the ATV? Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'd say you'll be just fine, try not to shift on the fly though, not recommended. Bike still feels like it's running fine, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Oh hell no. They have rev limiter. I regularly hit that speed in low. Not a good idea to maintain that speed in low but hitting once in awhile won't do any damage.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
No problem running it out in low gear to full speed. Just be slower than high gear, and burn more fuel since you will be deeper into the throttle to keep a given speed. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Not an issue...you can run 37 mph in low but not sure why you would want too. The only way you can mess up is riding in high when you should be in low or shifting gears with the ATV in motion. Full stop before you grab the shift handle. Believe me, when your buried in mud and full throttle in low your wheels are spinning a lot faster than 18 mph. The biggest newbie mistake is just the opposite of what you did. Having it in high and being stuck in the mud or such and smokin the belt! Hopefully you will catch a smell before it's too late, I was lucky once myself. Stuck in the sand and trying to get out in high...that smell of burnt rubber is a wake up call. I have put 500 miles on since that Screw up so they can be forgiving every once and a while. Have spare belt in the cargo at all times.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I think his whole concern was having shifted from low to high while moving. Which is not good.
Did you get any clanking or grinding sound? If so, I would change the tranny oil before riding anymore and hope for the best.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think his whole concern was having shifted from low to high while moving. Which is not good.
Did you get any clanking or grinding sound? If so, I would change the tranny oil before riding anymore and hope for the best.
Really?

In the day clanking and grinding sounds were common especially on trucks and I still do it on the tractors but never changed oil because of it.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
18 miles per hour in low gear is no big deal If you Barry the throttle you can run it up to about 50 52 before you get red line when we're running trails through the trees I do it in low gear all the time between 8 to 20 miles per hour you just don't want to do it at a constant 20 or 30 miles an hour. And as stated before you are very smart to be in low gear when climing out of the creek

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much for the insight on my post and definitely feel better. Now when I realized I was still in low, as always I cam to a complete stop and switched to high. Thanks again everyone one and this is why this site is great!!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Believe me toobold, I use high gear way too many times when I should be in low.
Yes, the smell of burnt rubber is usually my wake up call.
If it seems fine now, I am sure you are fine.
8 hours, eh? I am still on 5. Long, tedious hours for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts