Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I just bought this last week and brought it home. Started fine when I got it home and parked in my garage. It’s stored in garage in 60+ degree weather. The gauge cluster turns on and no warning lights. The headlights work fine and don’t flicker when trying to start. Battery voltage is at 12.8 and fine. When I go to start I hear one click coming from starter. Hooked up volt meter to starter and when key is turned it still has over 12 volts. Could this be circuit breaker or the relay I need? Or is it the solenoid? Bought it with no warranty and didn’t even ride it yet besides the test ride at dealer. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Put the meter on the starter motor side of the solenoid and try to start - if it clicks and has voltage, what is the voltage reading? If the voltage is less than 10 volts and drops as you hold it in the start position, either the starter motor is bad or the engine may be locked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It reads around 12.2 volts when holding key to start. Gonna get the battery checked tonight and try that first.

·
Premium Member
7,402 Posts
From what I'm reading sounds like a bad starter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah the battery is good. My buddies gonna come over and check it out tomorrow. He’s alittle more mechanically inclined then I am

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
if this machine is the same as sportsman xp 850 , then I think click from the starter is from relay and there should be another wire that turns the starter [give it a juice] directly from the battery to the starter. if that big Ga wire is not connected all you hear is click but no turn from starter [even if starter is good] / I had that be4. have you been mess'n with battery lately ? double check wires from bat to starter and back. good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it’s odd. I don’t know the machine well just picked it up Last weekend and parked it in my garage. Week later I tried to start and this happened. Tried throwing a jump box on it cause dealer said the battery must not be giving enough juice. Still did the same just 1 click no start. Cables look good

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so I pulled back some of the rubber from the solenoid. I tried jumping it and I got a crank at first but I pulled it off too quickly. Then did it again and I can hear the starter spinning but not engaging. So is the solenoid and starter? Not sure why I get a click when I try to start it but it spins when I jump

·
Premium Member
7,402 Posts
solenoid is bad then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts