Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one purchase a 2013 base scrambler and regret not getting the power steering? I currently own a 2009 850xp with power steering I would like to upgrade. My dealer has one 2013 base scrambler and one 2013 sportsman 850 xp eps blue fire left over with deep discounts. Both machines are almost identical in price. I am really drawn to the scrambler over the sportsman for the cool factor and even though both machines share the same frame and engine my dealer says the driving experience is very different. Wondering if anyone has experience with both machines and which one you prefer?

·
Registered
944 Posts
The scrammy is a little faster. BUT is it worth it? Prices being close to equal I would definitely get the sporty with powersteering. Since you already have PS, you will regret not having PS if you go with the base Scrammy.

Both more have more HP than your 09, so you'll be getting a boost in performance with either one. So, your new ride will have more WOO HOO!

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have the base 2013 Scrambler 850. I switched the Carlisle tires to the Maxxis that come on XP Sportsmans. Easier steering and they soak up the bumps better. I don't miss EPS. Nice to have but one less thing to break or wear out. The splines were wearing on my old 550 touring and the bars developed play. If I put on some heavier tires I may try an aftermarket power steering. For now I try to stay out of the deep mud.

·
Registered
668 Posts
The tires are from non eps 550 and 850s from 2011-2013. All 550 and 850 tourings also came with them. They ride good for a factory tire, ok in mud but not as good as the 489 2s. Defineately easier to steer and soak up bumps better (they are radials).They are non directional and can be swapped right to left when the forward edge gets worn.

·
Registered
422 Posts
They are Maxxis M9805/M9806 I believe

Attachments

·
Registered
944 Posts
Yea ! Those look decent. Thanks guys ! If I get a new machine I want something like those. Tell you why.....

BHs are great tires. But I saw a vid a while back where two razrs were trying to climb a sorta steep hill. It was leaf covered and raining. One had BHs. He could climb up the dirt bank, but when he got up to the leaves, he could not go up tho he tried 6 or so times.

Another rarz had tires like those you pictured and he went right on up!

I also think the BHs might not provide the best steering at speed either. I'm concerned they would drift more or push too much in corners for my liking.

Just my .02. I'll go check the reviews.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the scrambler base, I also have it fitted with a set of STI HD3 wheels and STI Black Diamond tires. It steers really good...... its no power steering but it is still one of the easiest steering atv's I have ever ridden. To me it would depend on what you use your atv for..... the scrambler has minimal AT BEST mud protection and there is no scabbard mount for it....... the sportsman is an all around great machine. Mine with the bigger wheels and tires is bar to bar with my uncles 2013 850 limited....... so if you go in the woods to hunt, camp, stuff like that, the sportsman is a better machine IMO.... but if you want a machine that everyone loves to look at awesome and has an AMAXING stock sound..... the scrammy is a clear winner! I attached a video of me climbing snow banks at my parents house last weekend in northern MN. It was about -15 degrees F that night. (I know is says 1000 XP Scrambler, I did that for more "hits" on the video) :lmao:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hey Nate how do you like the black diamonds? And what size are they? I'm thinking of trying those out on my scrambler! I know they run small but do you know the actual size? Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't know the actual size. there are two types of black diamonds. I have the XTR's which have 1 1/4 inch lug vs. 3/4" (I think) I have never measured the true diameter. I really like the tires. they do GREAT in mud and snow....... mine are the 26X9 X14 in the front and 26X11X10 in the rear (I think). If your are on hard pack, at very slow speeds < 5mph, they are a little rough. I am messing around with tire pressure right now. Started at 15 psi and am working my way down. I am at 8psi right now and am digging it. be prepared for extra mud over the fenders, they are a inch wider all around. I am very happy with the whole package and they look SICK!

as you can see from the rear view about 50% of the rear tires stick out from the fenders. so there is next to no mud protection. One thing I love about staying with 26" tires as well is that the speedo is pretty much still on. you change wheel size and you mess with the speedo and odometer readings......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts