Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Polaris 500, the 4x4 light is on but the shaft that drives the front tires does not turn and will not engage. I was plowing snow for the second time since I owned it and it quit working. It was about 5 degrees out, so I am not sure if something could have froze up. The machines is less then 2 months old and has 11 miles on it. I tried blocking the rear end of the ground so the rear tires could just spin, the front tires / drive shaft will just not engage. Does anyone have any ideas / suggestions?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I think i'd call the dealer and see what they have to say, see if they will and should warranty it.
If i understand correctly the output shaft from the transmission is not turning? which is almost unheard of on that new of a machine.
If it is turning and the outer hub axles are not, and since you've been pushing snow, i'd take blow dryer or heatlamp to the connections at the front gearcase, dry them out and use some die-electric grease to the connection and see if that helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I plan to call the dealer tomorrow, I was hoping it was something simple. The 4x4 shaft coming out of the transmission does not turn at all, I thought I read where this shaft should turn all the time, which is concerning, but I do not know that for a fact. The owners manual is useless on this issue. Hopefully it is covered by warrenty since it is the second time we used it.

·
11,913 Posts
You should check again to be sure. The front prop shaft should turn even in neutral just rolling it around the garage with the engine off. In other words, if the rear wheels turn the shaft should too. If its not you have serious issues in the tranny. Has it made any noises? Better get it to the dealer ASAP.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
yes the front shaft should free wheel at all times...i would not mess with any thing ....just a reason for dealer to decline warranty work...how they are....call them ASAP....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts