Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought this machine last december used only for ice fishing, used it last winter not one problem or issue, this year giving me problems starting in cold weather, machine started acting up about a month ago, fishing out on the ice , moved around a couple times and went to move and just heard "CLICK", CHECKED ALL MY BATTERY CONNECTIONS, all looked good, got towed in about 3 miles, the next morning i put sum heat on the starter and charged battery and it started and ran great for about 2 weeks, then same thing happend, just heard "CLICK" when i went to start it and nothing, tried it 3 or 4 more times and it started, next morning tried it and NOTHING....just click....always just one click...brought it into my polaris dealer and they told me they had power into the solenoid but not going out ?? they told me on my model they needed to replace solenoid and starter ???not 40 hours on it yet, anyway i work at a car dealership and brought the old starter solenoid and hooked it up to a car battery and everything worked perfect ??i just dont want to get stranded again, any ideas what this could be ?? what can i do ??

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
If your out in the snow then there is a big chance that you have condensation in the starter and it froze. I have had mine do the same a few times. My solenoid had power both in and out. It is a tricky issue because the quad needs a certain amount of power to start as well to run the fuel injection and other systems. When I am going out onto the lake I make sure that I go out and start my quad every few hours to make sure everything still moves and I put a big battery in it. The 925L is twice the size of the stock battery, has 330 CCA and fits right into the space provided.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
there is a thread on here where a guy removed, disassembled and re-sealed the starter on an 850, they seem to get wet and freeze.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
we used that stuff Seal-it like seen on TV to seal a few starters at work that were getting some moisture in them and freezing..worked good....now my friend with a Can Am had sorta same thing...had to warm starter to start it....he sprayed seal it on the starter.. they have a clear one now...and no more frozen starter...I cant figure how water would get in...has to be condensation ..but still starters are suppose to be sealed tight...the ones on our junk trucks we plow with had ice crystals inside starter...it must be just the extreme cold along with old starters ..

but on ATV's it should be tight..there are o ring gaskets on end caps..

·
Registered
147 Posts
Okay...I have a 2013 XP blue fire and my battery died on me one time and it stranded me out in the timber. It went click click. I towed it in because my dealer said that there was a safety overide in the system that if you tried starting the engine 3 times it wouldn't let you ever start it and you would have to take it to the dealer and get it checked out. All they would do would be hook it up to the computer, charge the battery and start it up. I just charged the battery and it finally started. BUT.....it kept dying on me while i was out riding. not while i was riding but when i would stop and shut if off for what ever reason. I took it into my dealer for that and he said that i had a part in my headlight module that was creating a draw which led to the battery dying. They replaced the speedo under warranty and its good to go. I have never had the water in the starter.
Dont know if this helped but thats what i went through when my machine kept going click.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts