Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My quad has bad compressionso it idles high is there a way to lower the idle untill i can afford to rebuild it.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I have read about a few 850s loosing compression and the main symptoms being erratic idle and oil in the air box. The ones I read about were all pretty low hour machines from early production years of the 850. Some were under warranty and just got a new long block. The one that I remember taking the engine apart ended up being a poor quality nicasil liner flaking off. The partzilla 850 rebuild series on YouTube was just piston rings. Not good news I know but I don't think your going to fix this problem without dissembling the engine. Sorry buddy.

I'd like to know how it turns out for you so if you remember, please update this discussion when you have more info.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Wow, bummer. What readings did you get on the compression test? any oil in the air box? How high is it idling. I want to say that the others were reporting lower than normal idle. Idle should be 1200+/-50rpm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Idle jumps from 1400 to1900.No oil in box . still using quad out at sister farm as i am still deer hunting

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
That's a little odd. It's possible your having a different issue. Can't think what that might be though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts