Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just registered on the forum, great resource for polaris owners. i am looking at buying the above mentioned machine and am doing some research. does it come in various models, i'm seeing XP, LE, HO, EPS and am not sure if these are acronyms common to all 850's or are they options? also, any words to the wise on issues/problems/things to look for with this atv appreciated.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
They're all H.O (high output) and EPS (electronic power steering).. The L.E comes with some extra goodies.. Winch - hand guards - rear seat delete box - special colour - painted rims - hand guards - heated grips.. Might just be 2014's but in some cases it will have upgraded tires and completely different rims..

·
Registered
454 Posts
2012 and later became the HO model as they bumped the 850 up to 77hp.
I'm a bit confused on the rims situation because I've seen lots of LE models with the same base model aluminum rims and lots with the upgraded color keyed rims including 2014's. All of the 850's Tourings come with EPS so they mention it in the ads I think just because EPS is still not standard on all wheelers and they want to let you know it has it though it is standard.
The back seat delete box is about $100 but as mentioned included on the LE. Not sure on the handguards because again some have them and some don't and the LE always comes with a winch. As for the plastics...they are non-painted plastic unless you get the LE which gives you the automotive painted variety. While the Tourings are based on the XP chassis I agree the written references to it can get confusing making you wonder why call it a Sportsman when it is an XP. Now I say that and I see some of the 850 tourings have an XP sticker on the side of the headlight pod and some don't. Regardless it is an XP.
Take a look at the thread that denotes the incremental improvements on the xp's since their inception in 2009. Really the 2013 and later is the year you want since as I read it also got some additional frame support and fewer welds but when you read reviews they just call it a carryover from 2012. I actually don't know what changed for 2014.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a 2012 850 touring LE and I really like the power and the way it rides. It doesn't feel like it wants to roll over in the turns. The longer by 4 in wheel base helps with stability.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I have a '13 850 XP Touring, my Friend had an LE model.

Mechanically the same Machine, LE Add-ons:
Mirrors
Hand Gaurds
Polaris 2500 Winch
Heated Passenger grips
Heated Hand Grips
Heated Throttle Lever

LE's also had:
Automotive style paint
Same wheels with Black Accents
Carlise 489 II Tires

I may have missed something, but i think its all there

XP Wheels

XP LE Wheels

2014's have a completely different LE wheel Package. the regular XP has the same wheels as above

·
Registered
454 Posts
2014 also got a shock upgrade as well. As for the wheels mentioned above...that is how I think it is supposed to work but I keep seeing all kinds of different combinations on LE models. I just saw a new non LE Touring 850 that even had the base non Touring metal rims. Ignoring the wheels and tires on the LE, most of the stuff is pretty cheap to add on later. I need to add a winch before riding season starts and I think I will be avoiding the Polaris variety and going with a higher LB rating of another brand. anyway. Can't comment on the painted plastic but I wished I had it on my touring.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
i got the dealer to throw in a winch when i bought it. worth a try. i had to install, but i didnt pay anything for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the replies. i'm going to look at a '13 850 XPS touring (non LE) with 50 mi on it. the guy says he made a mistake and wants to trade up to a side by side. only thing is that the warranty has run out (can't believe they only offer 6 mos) and i'm on my own if there are any issues. i'll have to go with my gut...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. New parts for these machines are surprisingly inexpensive from ebay and other stores. Of course that assumes you have the time to learn how to fix and the actual time to fix. I need a full fluid change on my 850 Touring as I'm at about 45 or so hours and just the time it took to do an oil change made my wife go off the wall as I was spending too much time on my possessions. Not sure how I'm going to get the rest of the fluids changed in the tiny time slots of available time I have and not hear about it all day and night and the next morning.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
congrats and enjoy
and indy likes pics

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
haven't made the deal yet but am hopeful we can come to an agreement. he's asking 10 500 but am going to try to deal him down to 9 500. the price may seem a little high to some but they're canadian prices which are higher than us. i read the posts regarding trailers and have a single 1200 lb capacity tilt snowmobile trailer with sides and a deflector which should do the job .

·
Registered
131 Posts
2012 and later became the HO model as they bumped the 850 up to 77hp.
I'm a bit confused on the rims situation because I've seen lots of LE models with the same base model aluminum rims and lots with the upgraded color keyed rims including 2014's. All of the 850's Tourings come with EPS so they mention it in the ads I think just because EPS is still not standard on all wheelers and they want to let you know it has it though it is standard.
The back seat delete box is about $100 but as mentioned included on the LE. Not sure on the handguards because again some have them and some don't and the LE always comes with a winch. As for the plastics...they are non-painted plastic unless you get the LE which gives you the automotive painted variety. While the Tourings are based on the XP chassis I agree the written references to it can get confusing making you wonder why call it a Sportsman when it is an XP. Now I say that and I see some of the 850 tourings have an XP sticker on the side of the headlight pod and some don't. Regardless it is an XP.
Take a look at the thread that denotes the incremental improvements on the xp's since their inception in 2009. Really the 2013 and later is the year you want since as I read it also got some additional frame support and fewer welds but when you read reviews they just call it a carryover from 2012. I actually don't know what changed for 2014.
I have a 2011 and have had no problems with frame or really anything. I'm right around 100 hrs and still love the machine. I haven't heard about the frame problems so if someone could insight that would be great!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts