Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found the hose in this picture hanging off the rear right lower end of my ATV. The hose is 25" long and 1/4" in diameter.

Anyone know where this hose may have been located?

I'm guessing this is some type of ventilation hose as it appears to have had no fluids ran through it.

Thanks a bunch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 Sportsman 700, 2004 Scrambler 500, Various Others.
777 Posts
Rear diff vent.

·
Registered
14,126 Posts
It is a vent hose and possibly for the rear gearcase (it looks like a differential, but it's a live drive - no differential function unless it has a turf mode) - it may be a battery vent hose if the sealed AGM battery was replaced with a conventional vented battery.

·
Premium Member
12,615 Posts
I'm thinking battery vent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not the battery. AGM battery and no vent port. Let's assume I never locate where this vent goes - assume it's simply vents out from the original source wherever the hose was located?

Guess said another way, what's the harm of not locating where this fits?

This could easily have disappeared and I'd never know it was missing.

·
Premium Member
2004 Sportsman 700, 2004 Scrambler 500, Various Others.
777 Posts
You’d know it was missing when you hit a puddle and blow up your diff. The point of it is to keep the vent port of whatever it’s for (my guess is diff) away from easy sources of water like low height and being out in the open. With no hose it’s just out there ready to collect whatever rainwater, dirt/dust and splashes you go through instead of nice and protected up under the seat or wherever it goes.

·
Registered
14,126 Posts
It's quite possible a conventional battery was replaced with an AGM and the hose just never left the vehicle with the battery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At this point, I believe the hose may have been left over with prior battery. I'm the 2nd owner of ATV.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts