Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front brakes have gone out on my Polaris. After looking at some online forums and doing some troubleshooting myself I think something is wrong with the master cylinder. When I squeeze the brake handle it mashes all the way down without any resistance. I really don’t want to replace the entire assembly if only one part of it went bad. Does anyone have any thoughts on what it could be? I took the cap off of the master cylinder holding it just over the top so nothing sprayed out and pressed the brake handle. Brake fluid shoots up while the handle is being squeezed. And there are no visible leaks anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
7,405 Posts
How are the pads???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pads are good, no issues. Brakes were working great and they suddenly gave out all at once.

·
Premium Member
7,405 Posts
I'd bleed them first. Whole system, hand brake and foot brake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I’ll definitely give it a try, any thoughts on how air could get in the lines and what to fix if that were the issue? I’m no mechanic and am shooting from the hip on all this. YouTube has been my friend

·
Premium Member
7,405 Posts
Your not bleeding out the air in this instance. More or less your bleeding to exercising the system. Obviously something went wrong and bleeding is a simple Inexpensive way to possibly correct it. I would bleed the system before rebuilding or replacing any components.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Does the hand brake work if you use the foot brake? Does the foot brake work while the hand does not?

The hand brake operates all the brakes while the foot brake operates the rear brake only. An internal leak in the rear brake caliper can result in a loss of hand brake, foot brake or all brakes depending on the nature of the failure. In certain instance neither brake will work unless both brakes are applied in unison and then you will feel the pressure applied on one operator on the other operator.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the hand brake work if you use the foot brake? Does the foot brake work while the hand does not?

The hand brake operates all the brakes while the foot brake operates the rear brake only. An internal leak in the rear brake caliper can result in a loss of hand brake, foot brake or all brakes depending on the nature of the failure. In certain instance neither brake will work unless both brakes are applied in unison and then you will feel the pressure applied on one operator on the other operator.
The foot brake works fine, no problems at all. The issue seems to be isolated to only the front brakes.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
The problem is in the master cylinder if there is no air in the system. Test the MC by disconnecting the line - hold your finger over the hole where the line attached - gently squeeze the lever - if the MC is working, you will feel pressure on your finger and you cannot retain the pressure with finger pressure even if you are King Kong. If the MC builds good pressure, keep the lever depressed and reattach the line. Turn the Hbar to the right to get the MC as high above the calipers as possible - pump the lever gently several times to see if it will build any pressure - if it does proceed to bleed the brake calipers - start with the rear then do the fronts. If no pressure can be built up, service, rebuild, or replace the MC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts