Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Strange issue just started happening recently. I have a 2013 sportsman 500 HO all stock. I have been using it recently to plow since the weather has been gracious with the snow this year. I have noticed at random times the speedometer needle will flash and a battery picture will be displayed and blinking with the speedometer needle. I run the bike in low gear while plowing, and there is alot of stopping and backing up. The bike is store in an unheated garage when not in use. I have not had this happen prior to just a few weeks ago. The bike seems to start up fine and run fine otherwise. I am almost out of the warranty so if there is a problem I would like to get it taken care of under warranty. Has anyone had this issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin

·
Registered
286 Posts
Its not a problem and the blinking battery is a normal occurrence while plowing because the winch sucks a lot of power. Just keep the atv on a battery tender when it is in the garage and you will be fine

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't think you have a problem. I'd invest in a battery tender and plug it in when not in use. Will keep your battery at full charge. Plowing is hard on the battery since your constantly using the winch. The charging system in them 500's are not very large. Just enough to keep all standard accessories going. I had the same thing happen and since I got my battery tender never again had that battery light come up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Completely forgot one critical item, My plow does not use a winch. It is a manual lift plow. So the plow itself does not use the battery at all. That is why I found it strange. Sorry I forgot to put that in the OP. Just the standard items running from the battery, headlights, taillights, speedo, etc. I will take your advice with the battery tender as well. Just wanted to make sure there is nothing I should be worried about the bike is less than a year old.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Depending how often you use your Atv and for how long can also determine a few things. Could be doing this due to sitting in the cold for a week at a time without a battery charger and experiencing some voltage drop and if your only using it during a short period of time and only plowing it may not get the opportunity to get the battery back up to a good charged level. I would recommend charging the battery and maybe get it load tested to see if there's a problem with your battery.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine was doing the same, just with the lights on
Got a battery tender, haven't had a problem since and my lights are 10x brighter
I think the batteries arent full charged or mine wasn't to begin with..
Couldnt see my lights in the day time, after tendering, was amazed at the difference..
Id really recommend getting one..
I use the battery tender jr, I forget the maker but can google it easily

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok Thanks alot guys! You have been real helpful in calming my nerves on this. I am thinking I agree with you 13sprtsmn500 that may very well be the issue. I will get a tender and see what happens.

Thank you everyone!

·
Registered
47 Posts
You should be able to pick one up for $30-$40. Good luck. Keep us posted if it fixes your issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
13sprtsmn500 Ok sounds good. Do you use the battery tender jr as well, or the plus? I am thinking the jr will do just fine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use the junior. It Works great.

·
Registered
729 Posts
If you let them sit too long with out the tender cells start dying off and you have no choice but to replace the battery. They don't charge much at all when idling and at low rpm. If it doesn't correct itself after charging or a good ride chances are the battery is shot. If you have to replace it I recommend a sealed maintenance free agm.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I would be looking for lose connections and getting the battery tested because if its showing low voltage with out a winch hogging all the current thats not normal. The charging systems on these are weak but not that weak. Its been close to at least -5 here every night and mine sits with out a tender and i have no issues even with the winch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I picked up a battery tender over the weekend. I put it on last night so tonight will be the test. Been snowing quite a bit and I will have to plow tonight. I will see if the light blinks tonight and let everyone know. I did have a question for those of you that use the battery tender jr. I noticed that there were a set of alligator clips and a set of connectors that you can connect to the battery and leave there. Is anyone using the battery connectors or does every use the alligator clips?

Thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
So I picked up a battery tender over the weekend. I put it on last night so tonight will be the test. Been snowing quite a bit and I will have to plow tonight. I will see if the light blinks tonight and let everyone know. I did have a question for those of you that use the battery tender jr. I noticed that there were a set of alligator clips and a set of connectors that you can connect to the battery and leave there. Is anyone using the battery connectors or does every use the alligator clips?

Thanks
I use the alligator clips for the atv, and installed the connectors on my mower because the battery is harder to get to on the mower.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts