Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a 2013 sportsman 550 last yr this time. paid 8500 out the door with the following add ons;

-led headlights
-front brush guard bumper
-hand warmers
-thumb warmer
-chrome wheels and tires (Polaris brand)

it now has 250miles on it.
and has front aux lights, rear reverse lights, and plow led flashing lights....

but it sounds like a firkin tractor when it runs it shakes a bit.

looked at a 2014 570 dealer asking $5700 with no add ons.

asked how much for a trade in..... they told me $4000.... wow..... I was not happy with that offer. I bought 3 wheelers over the last 14yrs from them....

I was like you gota do better. after about 45 min they whent up another $1000 so $5000.... that's with the add ons for my 550......

that don't seem like a fair trade in value.... or is it?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
If you are so set on selling why don't you sell it yourself?

IMO trading-in with a dealer will never net the highest sale price

·
Registered
777 Posts
Gotta look at it from their point of view. If they give you $5000, they then need to sell it for $5500 to make a profit.

Who would pay $5500 for a used 550 when they can get a new 570 for $5800?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ida thought after 14yrs of dealing with them they would have done better. they make money off of everything they get. but come on. they say the add ons aren't worth anything but yet when I told them id take them off they were figueing them in...

it was there last day of a 4 day sale. regular price is 6700. I just brought it in to see if I could get a decent deal but not at $4/5000....

I don't like the sound of the 550. its a lot louder and more shaky than my 500. ya ya but its a bigger motor. it still shouldn't be like that. its like a tractor......

he also gave me the story of "well on paper the 570 is a step down from the 550. because of the frame"

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
IMPO the 550 is a step down because of the frame. If anything the 570 could be considered a step down because of the suspension, but when you ad removeable sections to a frame you're reducing it's strength and increasing the likelihood of cracked frame components.

but yeah, Trading in you're always going to lose money compared to selling it yourself. but at the same time selling it yourself you're going to have to mark it down from retail used anyway to get anyone interested in it. 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other. you're always going to lose money on anything with an engine in it on resale save maybe a welder, but that's only if you get a good deal to begin with. but it hurts more if you sell it quickly as you don't feel you've gotten your money back out of it.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
You could always part it out too :) That would probably generate the best return but consume the most time.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Do you mean to say that there is something wrong with your current wheeler or just that the traits of the single cylinder 550 are now wearing on you?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
won't the single cylinder 570 have similar issues.

·
Registered
416 Posts
No. I rided both and the 550 feels like you are sitting on a diesel motor. It's Noisy and full of rattling noise. My friend on his first ride had a headache and was wishing he was getting accustomed to it. The 570 is almost silken smooth at running speed. That's really WTF, the motor of the VL is actually better all around.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
No. I rided both and the 550 feels like you are sitting on a diesel motor. It's Noisy and full of rattling noise. My friend on his first ride had a headache and was wishing he was getting accustomed to it. The 570 is almost silken smooth at running speed. That's really WTF, the motor of the VL is actually better all around.
Yikes.. that is bad... glad my 550 isn't like that.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
me too

·
Registered
164 Posts
Haven't had that problem with my 550, and I've beat the snot out of it. No frame issues either, I think they have worked most if the early troubles out of the XP

·
Registered
495 Posts
News flash!!

Was searching online for "take off" wheels/tires and came across Petes Cycles in the Balto/Severna Park area: They have a 2013 800 EFI Sportsman slashed to under $6k. Did not say out the door but sounds like a good place to start for a great machine!!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Maybe it has a balance issue? (Yeah, I know, it's a stretch).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts