Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 850 Xp sportsman that by the way is an AWESOME atv and really enjoying it so far. My question is this, I have a creek that I have to cross to be able to get to my riding areas. Well yesterday when I came home, I dropped into the creek and water went above my floorboards and not very much over them, but enough I had to pick my feet up. I guess my question is this, will this damage my atv cause I have read in owners manual not to get it above floor boards and I also don't know how well sealed the unit is and all the CVT boots and all. I know I have seen people floating these Polaris, but thats not my intention. Also, I looked and can't find no PVT drain plug. I would appreciate your help with this and thanks for helping the new guy out.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
No it won't damage your ATV. I have had water come over my fenders and its fine. Your air intake is in the fake tank so just keep that above the water and never shut your ATV off when the exaust is under water. However, you should use dielectric grease on all electrical connections including packing the the spark plug boots full of it. If a connector gets wet it will cause your power to go to ground which can stop you in your tracks or make the ATV run bad. If you are only going over the floorboards you should be just fine. Just remember, a just over the floorboards can turn into a complete dunk in a moment. I have been there bobbing up and down like a bobber. In my case the ATV was nose high and floating but I was sunk up to the fake gas tank so I shut it off (not sure if that was great idea but thats what I did). I ended up having two buddies hook my winch to a tree and pulled myself out of the water up on a boulder and let the exaust drain. It started right up and blew a lot of water out of the exaust. Ran like a champ the rest of the day.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have a new 850 Xp sportsman that by the way is an AWESOME atv and really enjoying it so far. My question is this, I have a creek that I have to cross to be able to get to my riding areas. Well yesterday when I came home, I dropped into the creek and water went above my floorboards and not very much over them, but enough I had to pick my feet up. I guess my question is this, will this damage my atv cause I have read in owners manual not to get it above floor boards and I also don't know how well sealed the unit is and all the CVT boots and all. I know I have seen people floating these Polaris, but thats not my intention. Also, I looked and can't find no PVT drain plug. I would appreciate your help with this and thanks for helping the new guy out.
That will not hurt a thing...btw there is a CVT drain plug...look at the clutch housing on the rear of the atv. There will be a red plastic plug, this is the drain for the belt housing.

Feel free to check it, but if you really didn't get deeper than just over the floorboards I don't think is needed.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think you should be fine going over the floor boards. On my 500 i went just slightly over the seat but that is the deepest id ever go unless i get snorkels!! :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Bone stock and never had a problem. You'll be just fine. The first snorkel to take on water is the intake for the belt drive located just under your seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Almost every atv manufacturer says not to go above the floorboards, but these atv's are capable of much more. The main thing to look out for is your snorkels. You can take these things all the way up to your lowest snorkel. Like already stated though, put some dielectric grease on all your electrical connnections. Don't forget about the spark plug boots.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Almost every atv manufacturer says not to go above the floorboards, but these atv's are capable of much more. The main thing to look out for is your snorkels. You can take these things all the way up to your lowest snorkel. Like already stated though, put some dielectric grease on all your electrical connnections. Don't forget about the spark plug boots.

Like he said. This is correct. Plus make sure you grease your suspension components often

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Here is my creek crossing. None the worse for its bobber impersonation. This was my Rancher 420.

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
You will not hurt anything going that deep. But they are not meant to be submarines or boats. I no there are a lot of folks on here that ride in deep mud and water but there is a price to be paid for that in the maintenance department down the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts