Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Just a question to find out if any of you folks had a similar issue to one I experienced. I was driving my 2013 Sportsman on a dirt road / ATV trail (approximately 25 mph / 40kmh) and had to quickly slow down (had a black bear walk out in front of me and I didn't want to hit it). When I braked, the quad acted as something gave way on my left side, causing me to slide off the road, into a hole and I sustained a pretty serious injury that landed me in to Trauma (though lucky to be alive to ride again some day). That said, though it really looks like there was no real damage to my quad, when the frame was looked at, it's as though a weld gave way and snowballed from there which landed me off the road.

For context, I keep my quad in a heated garage, basically baby it, do not jump it nor ride in the mud. I have less than 3,000 miles on it and have it serviced before using it each year (which is really not often) so this strikes me as a structural defect of some sort.

What I'm wondering is if others have had the same / similar issue. Polaris Customer Connections were very friendly and informed me to where I could get a new frame ($1200 USD but I'm here in Canada so maybe $1 billion CDN (ha...ha..). Obviously a 2013 so no warranty so wondering what any of you folks have done under your situation as I am exploring the possibility of pursuing additional recourse.

Really appreciate your input. Sincere thanks.

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,405 Posts
What exactly broke? Do you have pics? It will be difficult for you to prove that you operated your ATV as intended throughout the last 7 years. There are issues with frame welds failing and Cecco and others sell frame braces and stiffeners to account for this. Not sure though if this is your problem.

·
12,267 Posts
The REAL question would be... Did the frame break BEFORE or AFTER you ran out of the road and into a hole at 25 mph?? I'm pretty sure what Polaris' position would be on that. "Its not at all unusual for parts of the machine, including frame parts, to break as a result of such a severe crash."
Like I said before... Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The pics are the best I could get. This would be in back of the front left A-arm.

That is the only thing that makes sense of why my ATV felt like it gave way on my left and put me off the road. I also agree regarding proving I drove as intended over the past 7 years, though for the only times I get out folks know I do not lead the pack and drive like a near 50 year old grandmother.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're absolutely correct Polman500. They closed the file on me and not responding to my e-mail. Extremely disappointing. Going on 2 months and most likely several more before I can use my arm properly. Well, guess the good thing is that it could have been worse. Just not so great regarding what I thought was a great product. I now see that others have had issues with frame on the 850XP and that there are aftermarket products to correct those issues. Just didn't think that it would break the way it did under easy use and Polaris just writing this thing off by ignoring me and the incident. I guess "Caveat Emptor!"

·
12,267 Posts
Since you do have serious injuries they won't/can't admit any liability. You should probably consult an attorney for legal advise if you wish to pursue the matter any further.

·
Premium Member
12,383 Posts
Is the machine completely stock??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
polman 500 - Being in Canada, I'm learning I really have no other recourse with exception of sucking it up. :(

bp405 - with exception of the tires and the Dalton clutch kit I put in, the wheeler is completely stock though. I do not drive the thing aggressively like it was supposed to be built for. I just wanted something more comfortable and had the power and size to hall me around in comfort as I had a back surgery years back and cannot handle rough terrain (I stick to relatively easy going trails). I have always kept it in a heated garage year round and really don't put a lot of mileage on it (have 2,849 miles on it).

·
Premium Member
12,383 Posts
Man that sux!!! Hope you have a full recovery!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since I'm pretty well SOL with my ATV. Even if shell-out the money to get a new frame (thought there has been a known issue about them apparently), is there anyone on this site that knows of a shop or person that would be able to transfer all of my parts on my existing ATV over to a new frame here in Nova Scotia, or even New Brunswick (Canada)?

Folks here are too busy to even look at it, our Polaris dealer here only does mod installs or minor ATV repairs and maintenance. I'm really struggling with having to scrap what would be a perfectly good ATV if there are any other options out there.

Sincere thanks if anyone can help.

·
Premium Member
2,544 Posts
Fix it - weld it up and makeit better than stock. I doubt the aftermarket frame braces would have helped that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like a good idea, but I cannot find anyone that can do the work. The downfall of not having options living here in Canada. Should have bought Can-Am (won't make that mistake ever again), though I'm sure the outcome would be much different. Of course CF Moto is looking good right about now.

·
Premium Member
12,383 Posts
so your options as i see them are to have a welder fix it with ceccos frame gussets. have a dealer/atv repair shop swap frames. or sell it "as is". personally i would do option #1!!

as for moving on canned ham has their own issues and problems and frame cracking/breaking is one of them as well.

for the c(heap) f(ucking) moto well i'll just blame that on the meds!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Glad you're as ok as possible, hope you heal well and quickly.
As for the machine, 7 years is a long time for rust or cracks to happen. Inside your garage, the rust could have been building up from any waters that you had encountered in it's life. Polaris is right to not want anything to do with it, not that it's right but it's so far out of warranty it's just not their responsibility.
Truly sorry you had an accident, just my 2 cents.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts