Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, hoping to get some help with my 2013 Scrambler 850 XP EPS. This is my first Polaris and first ATV with power steering so it's a bit of a learning curve with everything (had an '07 Brute Force 650i for 10+ years and eventually had everything down to a science).

The problem I'm having is this: There's significant excess play in the handlebars. When stationary (regardless of if the key and quad are on or off), I can move the handlebars left and right by about 2-4" from their neutral, zero position. There's a loud thunk when the unit seems to "catch." EPS still works, but there's a ton of play. Far more than when I bought the quad last January.

I've read a lot about the couplings and how they can be the issue. I did check the tie rods and ends, and everything else that I could see without pulling a ton of stuff off/out of the way. Some info in this thread looks like it may be relevant. Wondering if it's maybe the top of bottom collar, or both. Can anyone provide insight?

One other question: If the EPS unit goes out (i.e., dies) does the quad still retain the ability to steer, just without power steering functionality?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Other threads I've been looking at in hopes there's relevant info (posting this for my own reference):

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
5,962 Posts
You need to check for play in the tie rod ends, and both pinch bolts, one upper, and one lower on the power steering gear box shafts. That much play is not in the box, it has to be in the mechanical steering components.

Your second question, you will still have mechanical steering if the power steering unit fails.

Jack the front end up off the ground and take a good look.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts