Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any recommendations on programing clutching etc on my 2013 scrambler 850. I bought a variable clutch kit for my primary clutch. I'm using a yellow spring, and been trying different ball bearings inside my clutch weights. I have it set pretty good now with my tires. My brother has a 2012 renegade xxc with hmf complete exhaust system with the programmer. He's running a dalton clutch for primary, secondary is stock. We both have ITP xtr's 27x11x14 in rear, 27x9x14 in front.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Have u all raced yet? My buddy has a 1000 outlander and I've got a 2013 850 sportsman and I can actually beat him stock to stock. The polaris puts its power to the ground alot better than the can ams

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah we did stock, I beat him out if the hole every time but he catches me on top end . He did the mods I mentioned, now he beats me pretty bad.

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
a tuner in itself will not give you any HP gains. a tuner can add fuel. better ones can add and subtract fuel. if you're not going to add exhaust, intake, cams, etc then the tuner is useless.

·
Registered
901 Posts
And sometimes the wrong exhaust setup you will lose power. I would of thought you guys would have been pretty close it must come down to who gets the best traction

·
Registered
190 Posts
I don't see how he could beat u stock to stock but I guess with the mods he has it makes a difference. What clutch kit do u have? And are u all racing on the highway or dirt?

·
Premium Member
11,972 Posts
unless I mis understood a guy I ride with occasionally said he beat a rene 1G with his 2013 850 scrammy. he said they only raced to 40mph. I know the scrammy is stock and that's all I know. does this sound legite?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a variable clutch kit, the weights come apart and I can put different weight ball bearings in the weight which act like a power band. I got it from factory riders.

·
Registered
190 Posts
unless I mis understood a guy I ride with occasionally said he beat a rene 1G with his 2013 850 scrammy. he said they only raced to 40mph. I know the scrammy is stock and that's all I know. does this sound legite?
^ yes this sounds correct, I've beat my buddy numerous times on my 2013 850 sportsman he has a 1k outlander.. I don't see anyway a 800 could hold a lite to the 850 xp.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a variable clutch kit, the weights come apart and I can put different weight ball bearings in the weight which act like a power band. I got it from factory riders.
U could talk to Ridinagain about a Qsc clutch kit, he will set it up for u he's really helpful And has alot of knowlage. Ill be buying a kit from him in a week or so. As for the pipe and programer the dobec programers are suppose to be good, and hmf and others make full exhaust. But from wat I've heard the clutch kit is better

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
stock for stock the 850 should be faster than a 1000, top speed. the 1000 is limited to 78mph and the 850 will top this. The 1000 should be quicker out of the hole.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
the 850 runs rich, so a tuner is pretty useless.
Not true. There are programmers out there that remove and add fuel. The Dobeck EJK is one of them, as is the power commander V. Most of the tuners out there like big gun are the same unit as the dobeck and just marked up and relabeled.

To the OP, give me a call. I can help you out getting you setup, and depending on where in MN you are you might be close enough to come right here and get it done. It shouldn't take much for your 850 to beat him with what he's got done. Good clutching should be all. 651-707-6706

·
Registered
154 Posts
Clutching on can ams don't seem quite as good as polaris' my 500 was hanging right with a couple new 650 outlanders in a 0-45 race. We've raced top end and they beat me pretty bad then...

·
Registered
388 Posts
the 850 runs rich, so a tuner is pretty useless.
Not true. There are programmers out there that remove and add fuel. The Dobeck EJK is one of them, as is the power commander V. Most of the tuners out there like big gun are the same unit as the dobeck and just marked up and relabeled.

To the OP, give me a call. I can help you out getting you setup, and depending on where in MN you are you might be close enough to come right here and get it done. It shouldn't take much for your 850 to beat him with what he's got done. Good clutching should be all. 651-707-6706
To further add to this remember that when a machine is running rich its not making max power its just safer...the old saying is "lean is mean" is still true. A programmer that you can do full tuning with will let you gain HP

1 - 20 of 33 Posts