Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have been lurking for a while but now that I have finally decided to retire my old faithful 2003 Sportsman 400 I thought I would log in and pick a few brains here before I buy a new one. The local dealer here has some pretty good deals on 2013 400's and 500s that I have been looking at.

I had a few issues over the years with my 400. I was wondering if Polaris has solved these things since 2003?

On my old 2003;

Sometimes a hub would lock up when your reversed causing the bike to pull hard to one side.

The front hub oil seals didnt last very long. Resulting in dirty hub oil and sticky hubs.

Rear shocks both let go around 2500miles

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Trapper...on the hub's ..they improved that...no more hubs..they centralized the AWD into the front diff....so the Hillard system is no longer in the hubs like yours was...did it improve ? ..I guess so..dont see much problems here on it....but you still need to change the oil bi yearly or yearly...keeping the oil clean in it is cheap insurance it will work good...I will change mine twice a year...

I would get the 500 that engine is tried an proven...mine is a 02 an runs like a clock...

good luck in your choice..

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
The 500 and the 400 (actually a 455) are the SAME ENGINE. The only difference being the 400 has a slightly smaller bore/piston.
The horsepower difference between the two is less than 5. I've rode a newer 400 and honestly could not tell the difference between it and my 13' 500. I'd save the $$ and get the 400.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
^^ Nice to see someone with common sense.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They have some 2014's that are decent price too. If I thought there was some advantage i would buy the 2014.

Is there much difference between the 2013's and 2014's??

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
There is NO difference between the 13 and 14 other than price

·
Registered
3,096 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I stopped in there today and they have a 2014 400 for $6280 out the door.

The Kodiak at the Yamaha dealer is $7400 OTD..

I'm kinda stuck between the 2 right now. I know they are both good bikes.

The 570 Ranger looks really nice but the $ tag is out of my reach.

·
Registered
745 Posts

$6280 OTD!!! OMG I'm in Sudbury Ontario and they seem to rip us off the 400s here are $6852 out the door (including pdi freight and HST) did you forget to ad freight and pdi?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

$6280 OTD!!! OMG I'm in Sudbury Ontario and they seem to rip us off the 400s here are $6852 out the door (including pdi freight and HST) did you forget to ad freight and pdi?
No they dont charge pdi. But i also forgot to mention my wife has a status card . No tax.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right now my decision is

Polaris 400:

Better racks
nicer ride (I'm assuming because my last one was like a couch on wheels)
$1100 cheaper

Kodiak 450

Better tires
Better resale value
Better sealed rear brake

10 years ago when I bought my last one the choice was easy. It seems all companies have upped thier game......except Arctic Cat, what a hunk a Chinese junk that 450 AC looks like.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I bought his and hers 2012 Sportsman 400 and love the ride. We are VERY HAPPY with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
My 400 was flawless. I think the 400 is the best value line machine, in the bang for buck catagory.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
^ I agree and I own a 500. Get the 400!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Right now my decision is

Polaris 400:

Kodiak 450

Better resale value
Resale value is the last thing I think of since I keep things until there is little value left when I get rid of them.
I wish i could drive one till it fell apart.

I use my atv on my trapline. Its a long way from civilization to be on foot due to a broken down atv. For me, replacing an older machine minimizes the chance i will be fixing a machine when i should be trapping. Plus, its a safety thing. Freezing to death beside a broken atv isnt how i want to go. Resale helps keep the ledger in the black.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If you want no fail reliability and amazing resale then Honda is the way to go.

If your Sportsman 450 did you well then I'd go with the same thing again.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
If resale value is a big thing your looking at the wrong machines. Generally speaking, anything below an 800cc class will loose its value quickly. 800cc on up hold there value better.

The reliability between the two machines will be a wash. Every manufacturer has problems. Get the one that YOU like. The Polaris is the better machine....

1 - 20 of 42 Posts