Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every one, picked up a new 2013 sportsman 500HO last spring. I put almost 700 miles on it last year and was wondering about the drive belt. I am not aggressive with this machine, almost all trail miles (no mudding) How many miles before the belt goes? and how difficult is it to change or inspect? I have looked at a couple of u-tube videos but they were not real clear on this. Any help would be great.
Thx for any info.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm in the same situation as you with the same bike. From what I've heard some belts may last 3000 miles. If you're not abusing it they should last. With that in mind I think no matter how tame of a rider you are sometimes they just don't last long. The videos I've seen make the installation of a new belt look pretty simple.

I am planning on buying a spare belt to throw in the storage box in case it happens to break while I'm out in the woods far from home. I plan on getting the Pure Polaris belt #3211077. My only concern is that searching for this part number yields mixed results. Some websites show a standard belt with teeth on one side. Other websites show a belt that has teeth both inside and outside the belt. Not sure which one is correct or if the part has changed over time.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Good luck changing a belt on the trail. This isn't a sled with easy access and requires taking the footwells off. Not a hard task, but not something i would even do on the trail.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Good luck changing a belt on the trail. This isn't a sled with easy access and requires taking the footwells off. Not a hard task, but not something i would even do on the trail.
Good job on the confidence booster.

To the OP. don't listen to that nonsense. In your tool box, just add a T25 torx screw driver and a wrench for the nuts. That will take the floor boards off, pop your push pins out, floor board is off in 5 mins.

Keep a 10mm 1/4 socket. 6" 1/4 extension and a 1/4 ratchet to remove the cover.

I've had to do a belt on the trail and I was back running in under half hour.

·
11,279 Posts
You do NOT have to remove the footwells to change a belt and it only takes about 30 minutes. There's only 12 screws and a hose clamp that have to be removed to get the cover off. If your 30 miles out in the mountains, just how are you gonna get the machine out if you break a belt without putting another one on?

·
Registered
89 Posts
If your 30 miles out in the mountains, just how are you gonna get the machine out if you break a belt without putting another one on?
Obviously he plans to rely on AAA atv trailside assistance. LOL

·
Registered
679 Posts
What's the alternative? Potentially walking 50+ miles back to the truck? I know a guy who pulled the motor on his sled 80 miles from nowhere, got a ride back to town, rebuilt it, went back put it in and drove it out. He was waaaay out in the back country down in a bowl, no way of getting towed out. Sometimes you have no choice.

·
Registered
572 Posts
You do NOT have to remove the footwells to change a belt and it only takes about 30 minutes. There's only 12 screws and a hose clamp that have to be removed to get the cover off. If your 30 miles out in the mountains, just how are you gonna get the machine out if you break a belt without putting another one on?
Explain how you change without removing footwell? You would be the first person I know that hasn't.
You can't pull the case far enough forward to get around clutches. Why because it hits the foot well. A for effort though.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Just tow it home.

·
Registered
257 Posts
To the OP,

I am at 1100 miles on my original belt. I would definitely get a spare belt and carry with you. You could always put a new belt on if you are worried about the one currently on there and then put the used one in your trail box and use that for a spare in case something happens to the other one.

I am going to change my belt this spring after plowing. I have some long trail rides coming up in the spring that I don't want to chance. Plus I know mine has some wear because the machine has definitely lost a step. My belt is now 3 years old and I have had it slip a couple times where I could smell it.

Like was said before I don't want to change my belt trailside but definitely not impossible and if I had no other choice I would. Everyone I ride with carries a space belt. It would be my luck though that the belt would go while it was raining or something.

·
Registered
75 Posts
On the topic of getting towed home I would like to make one recommendation. -Make sure the guy towing you doesn't ride like a banshee when you are being towed. I know this from experience.

I was riding with some friends up in Tug Hill NY area when I blew the motor on my 2 stroke Xplorer. For those who don't know you can ride on the roads there if your machine is licensed and registered with the state. Anyhow, I was doing donuts probably showing off when she gave up. We had gone out to dinner and were on our way back to the hotel when this happened. Anyhow my "friend" tows me home at a pretty high rate of speed in the dark. Fast enough that my rig was drifting through some of the turns on loose gravel. I yelled to no avail as he powered on apparently unable to hear me with the rush of the wind and drone of his aftermarket exhaust. Fortunately I didn't lose control and end up rolling into a ditch. Its fun to laugh about now, but scared the crap out of me at the time.

There was a little Polaris shop in town that rebuilt the motor and had me back out riding the following afternoon. They did it for less than half of what my hometown shop would have charged.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Here is my take on it. I carry an extra belt and I have changed the belt on a 500 on the side of the trail. However although I would make an attempt to try, the XP is a whole different issue. There is a bar that has to be removed to get the cover off. In my garage with proper tools it took me over an hour the first time to get the cover off. I think it will be faster next time but not sure if I would do it on the side of the trail.

Like fellow Winnipeger x93pgtx, around here I would likely tow it home as well.

·
11,279 Posts
Explain how you change without removing footwell? You would be the first person I know that hasn't.
You can't pull the case far enough forward to get around clutches. Why because it hits the foot well. A for effort though.
You just take the 4 bolts loose that hold it down and swing swing the fenders and footwell out and the cover will clear.

·
Registered
572 Posts
You just take the 4 bolts loose that hold it down and swing swing the fenders and footwell out and the cover will clear.
Sorry but the 4 push pins holding it to fender will stop you from "swinging anything"
Post a video cause this I'm curious about

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
......X2.......

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was worried about my belt as well but had my mechanic inspect when I had it serviced and it is fine with almost 3K miles.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thx guys for all the information, when it gets warm out (it is supposed to get to -50 tonight) I will pull the foot well and cover and look at the belt, that part sounds easy, and I will talk to my Polaris dealer and figure out how to replace the belt and I will carry a new belt as well. Many times I ride alone so towing is not going to be an option all the time.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Thx guys for all the information, when it gets warm out (it is supposed to get to -50 tonight) I will pull the foot well and cover and look at the belt, that part sounds easy, and I will talk to my Polaris dealer and figure out how to replace the belt and I will carry a new belt as well. Many times I ride alone so towing is not going to be an option all the time.
Grab belt, pulling to side with bike in neutral roll it off. Then roll new one on. If no direction arrow. Use numbers on belt left to right

Just a thought should pick up a repair manual

·
11,279 Posts
Sorry but the 4 push pins holding it to fender will stop you from "swinging anything"
Post a video cause this I'm curious about
I probably won't be pulling my belt cover just so I can make you a video but it can be done...I have done it. I will if I remember next time I need to service it. It's not that much extra effort to go ahead and remove the footwell completely and it does allow easier access. Leaving it attached to the fenders is just a short cut to it get done quicker out in the woods. I forgot to mention that you do need to remove the seat and pull the 2 or 3 push pins holding the rear fender to the frame so it will flex up more.
As for towing out, that's a good idea if you have someone with you and you ride in the flatlands. Many of the places I travel you'd have to bring a helicopter or a bulldozer after you walked for 2 days to go get it. You can't tow or push a 900 lbs. gorilla up a mountain side. Why would I even want to when I can just replace the belt and finish the ride?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts