Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
New to this so please bare with me and I apologize in advance if I confuse anyone. I purchased a brand new 2013 Sportsman 500 H.O. Last April and turns out the salesman forgot to put on the extended warranty so now I need to attempt to fix my machine myself. (Not Mechanically inclined @ all) Last week I went to take my quad on the trails with a couple buddies only to find that my Machine refused to go over 20mph. When it would get to 20mph it would just rev out and seemed like it had no power, and even when sitting idle if you were to give it gas it would backfire like it was missing or something and loose power. So someone suggested maybe a bad plug which I replaced on Sunday and it seemed to do the trick for a bit and then we realized that my belt was slipping so we came back and replaced that as well. It sounded and looked like everything was running smooth again yet when we tested it it continues to have the same Issue of hitting 20mph and rev's out unless you let off the throttle for a sec and then press it again it will then drive somewhat normal. I was hoping maybe someone on these forums can give me some insight on what my issue might be? I am thinking about getting an upgraded clutch kit and tires but I would like to make sure my machine is running right before I go sinking more $ into it as I have already had to purchase a New Winch and solenoid for it. I do apologize for such A long post but I am trying to give as much information as I can.

Thank you in advance for reading my post and hope someone has some insight on my problem.

Cheers and keep the rubber side down.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
How's your air filter?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have same machine. Is the air box lid tight? Or modified in any way?

Almost sounds like the carb wont open up. They need restriction for the vac style carb to work properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have also checked the Air filter/air box and everything seems to be fine that way and we are getting a lot of suction

1 - 6 of 6 Posts