Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2013 Sportsman 500 HO for about a year now. Bought it used with about 500 miles on it and about about 50 hours. I have run it hard, and I am now at 750 miles and about 95 hours. I have not had too many issues with it until recently. Started running very rich and burning through gas. Pulled the spark plug and it was black. Air filter was clean. I am thinking I just need to find a way to adjust the jetting on it. Any suggestions would be awesome, thank you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have the same machine, I assume you have a carb. Every time I change my spark plug it is black, these things run rich (I assume to protect the motor) On the carb models there is no adjustment for lean/rich it is sealed at the factory.
Don't know if rejetting would help I thought that changing the jets was for higher elevations.
I have over 3500 miles and so far no problems with the engine.

·
Registered
9,501 Posts
If it's running rich and the air filter is clean (or new), the carb needs to be inspected - maybe the main jet fell out or possibly it needs to be calibrated in another way - rich can damage an engine as well as lean - it needs to be corrected

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the same machine, I assume you have a carb. Every time I change my spark plug it is black, these things run rich (I assume to protect the motor) On the carb models there is no adjustment for lean/rich it is sealed at the factory.
Don't know if rejetting would help I thought that changing the jets was for higher elevations.
I have over 3500 miles and so far no problems with the engine.
Have you ever had any running issues, like slight misfires?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts