Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading a lot on here and other places about quads not running on their own and all of that. I'm kinda at a loss. I live in North Dakota and the one thing that i need to work does not work like it should.

When i get it started it shows around 12.3 ish for charging on the diag screen. And thats at around 1200+ rpm. i know its charging but the moment you turn it off and try to start it again it the relay going to the starter just clicks untill i boost it. Cold battery i understand will make it hard to start. But running for over 30 mins doing some very light plowing i come to a stop and it dies then i have to jump it again.

When i bought this quad we had the dealer put a winch and plow set up on it. Worked great last winter with one hang up. Every time i would pull the winch in it would make all my electrical drain (ie dash resetting like you just turned the key on), now it will actually kill the battery and shut the quad off. I've seen something about voltage regulator being "dirty" or "bad" but i'm not sure where it is at on the new model's. Also when pulling the winch in and killing the quad outright it would actually backfire. So that kinda leads me to believe that its running really really rich.

Any thoughts? Hope anyone will understand how i explained. I'm just getting annoyed by this thing.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks you two. I really want to go out riding but with this damn cold we are having around here it makes it tough. let alone i'm a truck driver. so i need to get this figured out so i have something to tell the dealer.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Get a larger cc amp battery. The plowing does a number on your charging system, get a better battery and use a battery tender to keep it at full charge.

I have seen a few people have trouble with the 500's as they have a relatively weak charging system.

·
Registered
862 Posts
What is the resting voltage of the battery? Running voltage should be higher then that, could be a bad cell in the battery or issue with the stator.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Resting with the diag on the dash with the tail lights on it was holding about 11 volts with a slow drain because of the tail lights on.

I have a feeling that its the stater. the Bat is new as of a few months ago. I brought it in last night to thaw it out and then charge it, currently i don't have a volt meter but i'll have one to check it tomorrow.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I would have it load tested, if you don't have a tester any auto parts store will do it. It should be able to hold 12 volts under a light load. How far does it drop if you turn the headlight on and hit the brakes?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Doesn't sound like it's charging properly to me. Not sure what the specs are on that model, but I would expect to have more like 14 volts at the battery with the engine running. You're either not charging properly or you have a really bad battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay just remembered that at idle it charges around the 14.3 when i put a little throttle on it, it goes to about 14.7 ish but no higher.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Hobbitlord2002 said:
When i get it started it shows around 12.3 ish for charging on the diag screen. And thats at around 1200+ rpm.
Im confused, are you getting 12 or 14v when running? 14 is normal, 12 is a problem and could be a battery or charging system issue. Even if you are getting 14 at idle you could still have a weak battery giving you starting issues, especially if you are only getting 11v with just the tail lights on.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
An ATV will not put out enough power to keep your battery charged when plowing. As someone mentionedd, a better battery and a tender is the ticket.

Sean

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys for helping comfirm my suspicions. The battery is good got it load teested. So it is just a weaker charging system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just and update on this issue. I'm and idiot, the battery wasn't fully charged. It was low amps and cold battery killing it so quickly. After a good 6ish hour charge threw it back in started right up idled after a few min of warm up. Then it came the test of the winch.......it didn't miss a beat. just drew the rpms down a little bit but kept up just fine. Everything is good.

I feel like an idiot because of this. but gotta learn the hard way to realize that the most simple fix is the best. Ockham's razor.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
We've all been there...glad it worked out for you.

Sean

1 - 17 of 17 Posts