Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2013 Sportsman 500 HO - Speedo and Odometer not working

Wrecked it on first family outing.

First of all, no one was seriously injured or hurt.

Second, now neither the speedometer nor the odometer work, and I am thinking 4 wheel drive does not work either. I am going to put it on jack stands this weekend to test. Also of note, the odometer shows zero miles overall and on the trip. It had about 6 hours on the clock prior to the accident, but not sure how many mile. Now it shows zero.

My daughter accidently mashed the gas while my wife was looking behind her to put in reverse. She did not have her hand on the brakes. Before she got into reverse, the 4 wheeler took off. They hit a tree about 5 to 8 feet in front of them at full throttle.

I am assuming most of the impact was absorbed by the front right tire because the A-arm and the tie rod on that side were bent pretty bad. The gauge cluster is also a little crooked. One of the tabs that keep the top part and bottom part secured is broken.

I have replaced the A-arm and tie rod, but still have not fixed the guage cluster. Hopefully get that done this weekend.

After searching this forum, I suspected the speed sensor on the right front wheel, but I cannot find a sensor on the front right wheel.

I am still trying to make the connection between the impact and the speedometor not working.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
That is strange, i looked on the dealers parts fiche and could not find the hall effect sensor, it's always been on the right front side, just ahead of the brake caliper.
I guess you'll have to start at the speedo. and work your way down.
Since the odometer shows zero, i take it it's not getting full power or bad ground,those would be something to look for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. I will start there this weekend. Even the dealer I called looking for parts started out by looking for the sensor on the front wheel.

Not sure when they changed the design.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
So the speedometer works but it showing 0 miles? Before ripping into wire harnesses, are you sure you're looking at the odometer reading? With the bike on and in park, use the mode button (yellow button on left handlebar) to cycle it. Your daughter may have hit it to trip and/or reset the trip to 0 during this incident.

If you've done that already then check all the brown and black wires from the harness plug on the back of the speedometer to their ending points looking for breaks or loose connections. I believe your speed sensor is located on the tranny, like the 2012s.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I will follow the brown and black wires.

Neither the speedometer nor the odometer are working. I have used the yellow button to look through the options.

The part that is odd to me is that the overall odometer is reading zero.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I agree, that is odd. Looking at the '12s setup, they have an additional 3 wire connector going into their speedo from the sensor in the tranny. See if yours has that and if its fully connected.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Glad eveyone is OK!!

Speed sensor is in the tranny.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got a chance to look into the issue. Found the problem. I failed to mention that I installed a winch. When I put everything back together, I forgot to connect the wiring harness to the guage.

However, after connecting the speedometer harness, the odomether still showed zero. Both the trip and the odometer are adding now, but what about the miles I put on before the accident and the installation of the winch?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, lost forever, I guess. Not a big deal. Just curious. Trying to figure this thing out. Thanks to all who replied. After looking around the forum, looks like a good place to learn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts