Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2013 Sportsman 500HO Demo vs 2014 400HO

I'm planning on buying a new Polaris Sportsman this week. I'm struggling with which model to buy, and I know this has already been discussed some. My situation is I can get a 2013 500 that has been a demo and has 27 miles on it for about $200 more than a never ridden 2014 400. I'm leaning towards the 500 but I just wanted a gut check from you experts on here. I've done enough research to know there is not a lot of differance between the two models.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Was it for ppl to test drive or just moved from spot to spot.( ie. Inside to outside etc)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Tell you what,

The difference between the 400 and the 500 is less than 5 horsepower. SAME ENGINE, just the 400 has a slightly smaller bore, cylinder. I've ridden the newer 400's and honestly was hard pressed to tell the difference between the 400 and my 500. I would get the 400. Just think, BRAND SPANKIN NEW. You don't know how those 27 miles were put on. I'm sure it would be fine but you never know......

·
Premium Member
11,371 Posts
Brand new is my vote for all the reasons fuse has stated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like Fuse said, I just don't know how those 27 miles were put on. I really wish I was in TN and I'd pick up the 570EFI that I spoke with a dealer about today, $5399 out the door, no additional fees other than tax! That seems like the deal to me but its probably a 12 hour drive. Otherwise, I think I will probably just grab a 400.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have two 2012 400's and we are very pleased with them. Comfortable and very reliable for us and we ride a lot!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My primary use is going to be plowing snow, otherwise just for the family to play on. No hardcore wheeling. Although I could see getting into it at some point.

·
Registered
548 Posts
We use it for everything difficult to casual riding. I don't have any input about plowing because we don't live in snow country. You will need to get new tires the stock ones suck for midd or snow!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Even plowing with chains on the tires that 400 will lose traction long before you come up short on power. We used our xplorer 400 for plowing and it did great.

·
Registered
454 Posts
My take is which ever one you don't have to pay sales tax on. I was adamant on finding used to not pay the government any more money.

·
Registered
454 Posts
My take is which ever one you don't have to pay sales tax on. I was adamant on finding used to not pay the government any more money.
Where do you live where there is no tax on used?
No tax on used in Minnesota as long as the seller didn't have a dealer license.
Same goes with boats except a dealer can broker a used boat and there is no sales tax due. We have I think the 5th highest sales tax in the country and same with our income tax (I think it is worse than 5th now) and so I look at it as a lot of accessories that I can now buy.
I just bought my wheeler this week and the dmv tried to charge me sales tax because the name of the seller was a business. They just assumed a business must be a dealer and so I had to fight them using logic which they hate.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm planning on buying a new Polaris Sportsman this week. I'm struggling with which model to buy, and I know this has already been discussed some. My situation is I can get a 2013 500 that has been a demo and has 27 miles on it for about $200 more than a never ridden 2014 400. I'm leaning towards the 500 but I just wanted a gut check from you experts on here. I've done enough research to know there is not a lot of differance between the two models.

The title of your post vs. your actual post have me cornfuzed.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Hmmm.... tuff call, but the 500 Demo will still carry the full 6 months warrenty!! SO I'd opt for the 500, you know they aren't "hard" miles as they have just been on a dealers lot/test track..... maybe some WOT from dead stop, not ideal for break-in, but it won't be any worse then you'll do. Not to mention the salesman is likely watching the test rides..... they aren't mud bogging drag races up to the racks!!

Although I think they can make the Demo deal a little better by tossing in a spare belt and a winch or a bumper or something. :dunno:

When working with salesman..... "NEVER ACCEPT THE FIRST DEAL"!!! Ask for the moon & the stars and work back to something "realistic" (like a belt & winch) from there!! :D

·
Premium Member
11,371 Posts
don't assume they warranty on the 550 demo is still a full 6 month's. 4 yrs ago when my second was born I went suv shopping for a Yukon xl and the dealer had a demo denali xl he was going to give me like $15,000 off. it only had like 300 miles on it. the only problem was the 3yr/36,000mile bumper to bumper had started when it legally became a "demo". it was used in the macy's thanksgiving day parade 10 months earlier.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I agree with MustBeNice. The miles are not hard and no worse than you would do. It comes with a full warranty and you will be able to get a better price for it because it is not current. I would buy the most I could for the amt of money I have. The 500 while maybe only a bit more powerful than the 400 IS more powerful.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
OP, question: What is it that you are looking at..... a 2013 500HO or 550XP vs 2014 400???? Your first post vs. title give conflicting info!! InRBigness is 100% correct..... buy the most machine you can for the money you have (or want to spend).

As for the "demo warranty".... you'd better ask about that one. As each state's laws may vary. I personally have never seen a demo powersports equipment that wasn't sold as new with full warrenty. But that may vary between powersports and automobiles also..... I'm not certain as "I'm to cheap" to purchase a brand new vehical. I'd rather let some other joker take the "first time off the lot" hit in the shorts. I personally view ATV's and Automobiles as two entirely different "types of use" items, that fall into the categories of..... play and pound vs. baby to last.

·
Registered
113 Posts
No tax on used in Minnesota as long as the seller didn't have a dealer license.
Same goes with boats except a dealer can broker a used boat and there is no sales tax due. We have I think the 5th highest sales tax in the country and same with our income tax (I think it is worse than 5th now) and so I look at it as a lot of accessories that I can now buy.
I just bought my wheeler this week and the dmv tried to charge me sales tax because the name of the seller was a business. They just assumed a business must be a dealer and so I had to fight them using logic which they hate.
That's a decent savings if you can save taxes on that kind of money. I don't know if the OP lives in a state that has that, but I'd think it is an exception rather than a rule. It seems the OP is choosing between two units at the same dealer, so it wouldn't matter.

Anyway, I'd go with the new 400.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
^^^ This.

Why even worry about how the 500 was riden, when you can get a brand new machine that has never been sat on! Plus it's 200 LESS to get the 400 so to me it's a no brainer.

·
Super Moderator
7,074 Posts
500, 500, 500!!! I mean really, 27 miles??? That thing is still brand new. You will get it with the full factory warranty from Polaris and it will be sold just like a new one without the new price. My X2 was a demo unit with 156 miles on it. These miles are put on at the dealership, not up on the trails or in mud pits. It will be worth way more than the $200 premium you pay now when it comes to resale over the 400. Think about it, but don't think about it too long or someone else will steal it in a heartbeat. For basically the same price for two new machines, who would ever choose the 400 over a 500? If it is actually a 550, hard to tell from all the different posts stating different sizes, then that makes it even more obvious which one to grab. If you are concerned that someone else has sat on it first, then maybe you deserve the 400. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts