Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I was wondering if this is a decent deal for a 2013 800? Its a 2013 for $6651, red which I really like over the sage green. I posted a while back on here about wanting to get a 4x4 due to back issues and such, I am a sports quad guy but really am getting beat up riding my YFZ450. I know the Renegade 800 or Scrambler 850 would probably be ideal for me but the price of those machines seems to much. I like the price on this 800 though, what do you guys think? And will the 800 give me some "pop" for spirited trail runs? I also want to get a winch and plow for my new house that has a decent long driveway.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
That is an awesome price, for my area anyway! You will have gobs of torque, the 800 is geared lower than the 400/500.

·
Registered
2007 500x2 le
860 Posts
That is a great price I got mine for 7299 and that wasgood I thought I bought the sage green but if I could do it again I'd go indy red and I see the 14s come in blue! I like my 800 for that price you wouldn't loose much when it does come time to upgrade !

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do you guys like your 800's? How would they do on fast trailrides? I would probably swap the tires and rims for something lighter and sportier like the Holeshot ATR or Maxxis 4 speed.

·
Registered
2007 500x2 le
860 Posts
They have lots of bottom end and get up and go I can't somplain at all its not a 850 but they do work great and decent top end I think you'd be happy with your purchase!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They have lots of bottom end and get up and go I can't somplain at all its not a 850 but they do work great and decent top end I think you'd be happy with your purchase!
No they are not an 850XP or Outlander 800 but they cost thousands less to. Top end really isn't that important except for long stretches, if they do around 70 thats fine with me.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
My input/opinion...... it's a good deal, but not the best. Reasoning..... in Sept. 2012 I bought my 2012 SP 800 with added 2500# popo winch, popo G3 plow system and popo front & rear rack extenders for just a few dollers over "$7200 Out The Door" @ Year End Close out pricing ( I think it was $7212.xx) + the $50-55 MN DNR Trail Fee Sticker.

So if it's a plain 2013 SP 800 with no accessories.... $6651 is fare. I think mine was $6200 + added accessories (listed above).

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My input/opinion...... it's a good deal, but not the best. Reasoning..... in Sept. 2012 I bought my 2012 SP 800 with added 2500# popo winch, popo G3 plow system and popo front & rear rack extenders for just a few dollers over "$7200 Out The Door" @ Year End Close out pricing ( I think it was $7212.xx) + the $50-55 MN DNR Trail Fee Sticker.

So if it's a plain 2013 SP 800 with no accessories.... $6651 is fare. I think mine was $6200 + added accessories (listed above).
Well I was going to see what kind of deal I could get with a winch thrown in to. :)

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
I'll say this when riding with 850 scamblers and sportsmans, 1000 gades and o/l's, even 750 brutes they will pull away from me on quicker running trails that u can open up the throttle on. But between the gearing and torque and the superior polaris 4 wheel drive system when the trails get ruff the rocks get big the hills become steep the mudd gets deep and thick my bike shines. Also my bike was $6,200 before taxes and all the other bs. $800 polaris rebate and $200 off from the dealer. This was my first quad and I bought this model for four reasons, polaris, price, efi, and big bore.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll say this when riding with 850 scamblers and sportsmans, 1000 gades and o/l's, even 750 brutes they will pull away from me on quicker running trails that u can open up the throttle on. But between the gearing and torque and the superior polaris 4 wheel drive system when the trails get ruff the rocks get big the hills become steep the mudd gets deep and thick my bike shines. Also my bike was $6,200 before taxes and all the other bs. $800 polaris rebate and $200 off from the dealer. This was my first quad and I bought this model for four reasons, polaris, price, efi, and big bore.
Wow, I wan't expecting to hear the Brute Forces were that much faster.I was figuring they were pretty close in power. The Brute was the other atv I was looking at along with the Kingquad 750.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Yeah well that's all the brute can do compared to my 800. It can't crawl the trails go through the mud climb with traction like the 800. The ground Clearance isn't as good. And it Costs a whole lot of dollars more.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Oh and as far as my experience with the kq750's not impressed at all and there isn't a thing in the performance department that the kq750 does better then the sp800.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh and as far as my experience with the kq750's not impressed at all and there isn't a thing in the performance department that the kq750 does better then the sp800.
I see, yeah it just sucks I can't ride these machines all before I buy one. I wonder how 800 would do with a few tweaks like a slip on exhaust and open air box system, seems like it would be a nice gain. Always had a nice gains on my 400ex's with these mods.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey ive got a 2013 red sportsman 800 efi 4x4 new for $6350.00 just to be clear tn residents pay 9.25% sales tax and $14 tdr sticker its titled in your name free and clear out the door for $6951.38 now if you dont live in tn your out the door price is $6350.00 thanks

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
I see, yeah it just sucks I can't ride these machines all before I buy one. I wonder how 800 would do with a few tweaks like a slip on exhaust and open air box system, seems like it would be a nice gain. Always had a nice gains on my 400ex's with these mods.
brother man if ur already looking into making the 800 into more of a sportier quad with intake, exhaust, and/or programmer mods i would really stress u look into the 850 scrammies and sportsmans. i know u said u didnt want to spend that kind of money but it my pay off in the long run. like i was saying 850's and 1000's take it to me on open nibble trails. thats the only down side to my ride other wise its like a swamp billy goat it just crawls through all of it.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
brother man if ur already looking into making the 800 into more of a sportier quad with intake, exhaust, and/or programmer mods i would really stress u look into the 850 scrammies and sportsmans. i know u said u didnt want to spend that kind of money but it my pay off in the long run. like i was saying 850's and 1000's take it to me on open nibble trails. thats the only down side to my ride other wise its like a swamp billy goat it just crawls through all of it.
It's not that I have to make it faster or sportier, just I have always liked doing mods that are available to my machines just to enhance the ride and more fun. A slip on is probably the only thing I would do anyways, I have been reading up on that. These are programmed rich from the factory so just a slip on doesn't require and efi retune. A little more "snap" from the motor and better sound really is all I would want. But to be honest I'd be looking at tires befoe anything else, something that grips better with less sidewall flex for cornering and such. In all, I doubt I would ever be at a point where I needed more power anyways. I read a review from ATV Action last year and it said these things are scary fast.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
i hear ya. i think u should snatch that bad boy up then. u wont be disapointed. honestly out of everyone that has an 800, i cant recall anyone complaining about them. u will get some that dont ride them point out that it doesnt come with eps (although the aftermarket has made an eps bolt on kit) or the fact that it has struts up front and it all sits on older technology chassis. then there is the 54 or so hp ratings which in some peoples minds is low for a 760cc engine but, it has like 52 ft-lbs of torque which is a nice high number which is definetly felt throughout the bikes rpm range. yeah and it is scary fast. its been awhile but i have had it up in the 70+ mph range and on gravel roads i would say that constitutes scary fast.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i hear ya. i think u should snatch that bad boy up then. u wont be disapointed. honestly out of everyone that has an 800, i cant recall anyone complaining about them. u will get some that dont ride them point out that it doesnt come with eps (although the aftermarket has made an eps bolt on kit) or the fact that it has struts up front and it all sits on older technology chassis. then there is the 54 or so hp ratings which in some peoples minds is low for a 760cc engine but, it has like 52 ft-lbs of torque which is a nice high number which is definetly felt throughout the bikes rpm range. yeah and it is scary fast. its been awhile but i have had it up in the 70+ mph range and on gravel roads i would say that constitutes scary fast.
70 mph plus?????? For real???? Good grief! How long does it take to get there, thats flying! My old TRX 250R did in the low 70's as does my YFZ 450, and they get squirelly, couldnt imagine how a big rig like the Sportsman would be at those speeds...but I'd like to find out. :cowboy:

·
Registered
26 Posts
polaris has the 800s detuned for safety purposes.does one really need 80 hp with a 700 plus lb machine?now a razr needs all the hp it can get.i think the 800s run good for what they are.all the big bores have good power but the suzuki kq750 is the weaker kneed mount of the bunch.a 2001 traxter 500 bombadier has more grunt..lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
i just bought my 800 in green a week ago and fist was wanting a 570 but i picked up my 13 800 with a 3500#polaris rope winch(which i installed) for 7k OTD. i thought i got a good deal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts