Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Well today I was loading my 13 Sportsman 850XP onto the trailer. The trailer was tilted up and I had to basically climb onto the trailer. Well when I got it into the trail, I looked down and my power steering caution warning light was on and the gear indicator just had two dashes. No mater what gear I placed the atv in, the dashes remained and the EPS light remained on. Turned the key on and off serval times and then if finally cleared. What could have caused this and would there be a code stored? If I remember correctly, I looked down and scrolled through the selector and saw the number 2. Does this mean anything? Sure could use some help with this one. My atv only has 11 hours on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've seen a weak battery cause problems like that, even a slight drain on the stock battery will throw power steering light on. And trust me the factory battery is junk.
Could also be a loose connection on one of the electrical plugs

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The "--" you saw indicates a fault at the gear selector, its thinks its inbetween gears. That could possibly disable the EPS system too. I'm with Lauder though, more then likely a weak better, but check the connection to the bellhouse where the shift lever attaches to the tranny and make sure that's all good and tight.

Have you gotten it wet recently before this happened?

·
Registered
679 Posts
My 550 will occasionally flash the eps light after I've been plowing for an extended period of time with low rpm's. I just stick it in neutral and and give it some throttle and it instantly goes away. Heated grips, winching, lights...doesn't surprise me. I'm running a stock battery but I'm always on a tender when not in use.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I had washed the atv the day before. It was just strange, because I drove it out of the garage and a couple of hundred yards to the trailer, which again was tilted. Just hope this is not going to become a gremlin for me. Thank you for the information guys.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Put a dood coating of dielectrics grease on ALL electrical connections.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts