Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I’m rebuilding an engine. It’s a 2013 Sportsman 500 ho. I’m wondering if the timing chain is stretched? Looks like it might be to me. I have never worked on 4 wheeler.
The tensioner is all the way out.
Any help would be appreciated.
I have attached some pictures.
I will attach a video if I can.
After it get it back together and running I’ll post my rebuild.
Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Motor vehicle Vehicle brake

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle brake Locking hubs

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust

Thank you

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
12,302 Posts
Font Line Window Pattern Automotive exterior
to the forum
Ball Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate Font Gas

Reactions: guttafixit

·
Super Moderator
17,742 Posts
Chains don't stretch, they wear out - when you say the tensioner is all the way out; do you mean the tensioner pusher is all the way out of the engine or that pusher is installed, but is out as far as it will go?

If the pusher is out of the engine, install it and see how hard it pushes on the tensioner to take slack out of the chain. From the looks of the sprocket, the chain, both sprockets and the tensioner all need to be replaced, then the tensioner pusher will have the chain tight when inserted into it's hole with about 1/2 an inch between the tensioner pusher and the cylinder. At that point the pusher will need to be reset, installed and assembled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chains don't stretch, they wear out - when you say the tensioner is all the way out; do you mean the tensioner pusher is all the way out of the engine or that pusher is installed, but is out as far as it will go?

If the pusher is out of the engine, install it and see how hard it pushes on the tensioner to take slack out of the chain. From the looks of the sprocket, the chain, both sprockets and the tensioner all need to be replaced, then the tensioner pusher will have the chain tight when inserted into it's hole with about 1/2 an inch between the tensioner pusher and the cylinder. At that point the pusher will need to be reset, installed and assembled.
I installed the tensioner pusher put the spring in, put the middle bolt in then took the tensioner back off the cylinder and it was extended as far as it could go. I’ll see what it looks like after putting the new parts in. If I have to buy new sprockets then I will. I will keep you updated.
Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
If your 2013 Sportsman has been running well but suddenly starts making strange noises, it could be that the timing chain is stretched. This isn't necessarily a cause for alarm, as it's a fairly common issue with this model year. However, it's definitely something you'll want to get checked out by a mechanic or Kemimoto to ensure that it isn't indicative of a more serious problem. In most cases, a stretched timing chain can be replaced relatively easily and inexpensively. However, if it isn't caught early enough, it can cause major damage to your engine. So if you think your timing chain might be stretched, don't delay in getting it checked out!

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
12,302 Posts
If your 2013 Sportsman has been running well but suddenly starts making strange noises, it could be that the timing chain is stretched. This isn't necessarily a cause for alarm, as it's a fairly common issue with this model year. However, it's definitely something you'll want to get checked out by a mechanic or Kemimoto to ensure that it isn't indicative of a more serious problem. In most cases, a stretched timing chain can be replaced relatively easily and inexpensively. However, if it isn't caught early enough, it can cause major damage to your engine. So if you think your timing chain might be stretched, don't delay in getting it checked out!
Font Line Window Pattern Automotive exterior
to the forum
Ball Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate Font Gas

·
Super Moderator
17,742 Posts
................. it could be that the timing chain is stretched. .......... a WORN timing chain can be replaced relatively easily and inexpensively. However, if it isn't caught early enough, it can cause major damage to your engine. So if you think your timing chain might be WORN, don't delay in getting it checked out!
CHAINS DON'T STRETCH - THEY WEAR AND THE WEAR IS PERCEIVED AS STRETCH DUE TO IGNORANCE

1 - 9 of 9 Posts