Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone, I'm New To this Group But This Year I Bought A 2013 Trail Boss 330. I Am Now Thinking About Getting A Set Of 25X11-10 Mudbugs For The Rear. I Plan On Going Up Two Teeth In The Rear. My Main Concern Is STock Tires Are Only 20" And Mudbugs Measure True To Size 25" Big Difference, Does Anyone Know From Experience If This Thing Will Even Be Strong Enough To Turn Them In Thick Mud, Do I Need To Get Exhaust(Only Found Aaen Performance Brand) Or Change Clutch Springs Or Anything Else, Already Have K&N Filter. Would Like Feedback As Soon As Possible Please Otherwise I'm Just Gonna Do It And Hope For The Best Lol

Also If You Have Tips On Snorkeling, They Would Be Appreciated

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
that's a HUGE jump in tires size. you're going to see a big difference in power. Clutch at a minimum, but probably the full gamut of power add-on's and it still might not be as fast as it was with stock.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I'm Expecting It To Be Slower But I'm Hoping Not A Huge Amount Slower, I Mainly Wanna Be Able To Tackle Good Sized Mud Holes. Does 2 More Teeth On The Back Sprocket Make That Big Of A Difference? And The Stock Tire Size is 22 But They Only Measure 20... Lies

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would A 23 Or 24" Mud Tire Make A Big DiffereNce In Mud Considering Stock Tires Are Trail Tires And Fairly Slick, Sorry I'm New To Mud, Mainly Ride DirtbikEs

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
20" with weight on the tire, or 20" off the ground...?

personally, were I to ride mud, I wouldn't do it with a chain driven bike. Chains and mud = bad IMHO. but yes changing the number of teeth does make a big difference it's gear reduction and it's a wonderful thing.

I think you'll be disappointed with that bike being converted to a mud machine. it just wasn't designed for that kind of fun. That being said, if that's all you've got and all you can afford, than you make due with what you have. But with the amount of money you're talking about putting into that bike you might be able to get a 400 or even a 570 which would be better suited for your intended use.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
20"Tire Height, Like Maybe 5 Or 6 Inches Of Ground Clearance. And Ya I Can Tell It Want Made For Mud But It Does Better Than I Expected , I Might Just Get A Good Mud Grip Tire And Stay A Little Closer To Stock Size, That WIll Be better Than Nothing I Guess. Thanks Four Your Input Though, I'm Hoping Someone With A New Trail Boss That Had Tried This Will Stumble On Here And Let Me Know But Thanks Thorshammer

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
try out the 23" sti Black diamond ATRs

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol yes I know that is the best idea but until then, i think i'm just going to get some 23x10-11 maxxis mudbugs, shouldn't affect power and any decent mud tire should help substantially.

BUT....... while yall are here, i blew the piston seal out of my back brake caliper, i am buying a new one. I have put brake pads in multiple times but never changed the seal, i am a mechanic so i'm sure i could figure it out but is there any trick or anything i need to know?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The stock performance could be maintained with any size tires with the right gearing. But it might be a little trial and error. Going up on the driven sprocket won't have as much effect as going down on the drive one. May need a combo of the two. You're starting with an under achiever from the get go so it's going to be tough.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya And The Only Gearing Up Is Going From A40 To A 42 On Back, ThEy Don't Make 10 Tooth For The Front, So The Only Change I Can Make Down Is 2 Teeth

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got The 23S Mounted, 42T Rear Sprocket, Red primary Clutch Spring And I Have More Power Than I Did Before. I Can Lift The Front Wheels With Just A Little Yank. And So Far Mud Is No Match For These Maxxis Mudbugs, The Tread Is Bigger Than A Quarter. 38/32Nds

In Conclusion, Yes The Trail Boss Is Weak, But Can Easily Be Improved Upon

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Got The 23S Mounted, 42T Rear Sprocket, Red primary Clutch Spring And I Have More Power Than I Did Before. I Can Lift The Front Wheels With Just A Little Yank. And So Far Mud Is No Match For These Maxxis Mudbugs, The Tread Is Bigger Than A Quarter. 38/32Nds

In Conclusion, Yes The Trail Boss Is Weak, But Can Easily Be Improved Upon
most stock ATV's can be improved upon. stock set ups are set for ridability and durability for minimal wear and tear and rider concern. improving upon this is easy, but always has a down side. more wear and tear, more danger, and broken parts/riders are usually the results of most "improvements" on the stock set up. Granted most of these aren't instant or even worth mentioning if you understand the ATV and the consequences of riding it.

Glad it worked out for you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts