Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on buying a trail boss and thought with the Polaris rebates going on I would call a couple local dealerships and see what I could get one for. The dealership in my town quoted me the msrp which is $4399 minus the $300 polaris rebate. After taxes and other B.S. the quote came to $4559.44. I felt this was ridiculous. So I called a dealer about 40 miles away and got a quote of $4480.00 out the door.
I realize that the trail boss is an entry level machine and the markup isn't as large as other machines but I have taxes and title figured at roughly $300 so the factory rebate nullifies the taxes and title. Do most people pay MSRP? I was thinking if I could get an out the door price of around $4000 I might pull the trigger.
I wish there was a site to go to that would show how much you should be able to buy a new atv for like there is for cars. Any thoughts on the subject?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
I've sold these things so I'll throw in .02

I'm not sure of your location, but around here lots of agriculture, orchards, vineyards, etc and the farms buy these things by the dozens...so for us, not much incentive to mark them down since the farms don't even want to spend the time hassling over a couple hundred bucks.

If your taxes and licenses are about $300, than $4K or so before taxes might be reasonable depending on the demand of the machine based on what I mentioned above and our unique geographical location. Your location might create a similar demand for this type of machine, or might not.

With your taxes and license, keep in mind sales tax might be at a different rate, so verify that. There might be other ORV / license/ documentation fees, so figure that out before hand. Don't pay a dealer doc fee to "process" your paperwork...thats BS.

Don't pay freight or set up fees. Again thats BS. But if the rebate is $300, legitimate taxes and license fees are $300 you can probably get it for $4300 OTD, but I do not think you'll find someone who will sell for $4K OTD. Actually, I'm pretty sure they would lose hard money selling it at $4K OTD with $300 in taxes. I bet they paid more than $3700 just to get that machine to their shop.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd spend the couple hundred extra bucks and but the Sportsman 400 which is 455CC
the msrp on the Sportsman 400 is over a thousand more than the trail boss, but more importantly the trail boss is what my wife wants. She likes the way my 400ex handles but doesn't care for the manual transmission. A relative has a trail boss and she loved it. So I am going to get her what she wants. Her cousin has a Suzuki Eiger and a Suzuki King Quad and she doesn't like the way they handle.
I agree, riding trails the Sportsman would be a better fit but I am not going to spend that kind of money on something she doesn't want.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've sold these things so I'll throw in .02

I'm not sure of your location, but around here lots of agriculture, orchards, vineyards, etc and the farms buy these things by the dozens...so for us, not much incentive to mark them down since the farms don't even want to spend the time hassling over a couple hundred bucks.

If your taxes and licenses are about $300, than $4K or so before taxes might be reasonable depending on the demand of the machine based on what I mentioned above and our unique geographical location. Your location might create a similar demand for this type of machine, or might not.

With your taxes and license, keep in mind sales tax might be at a different rate, so verify that. There might be other ORV / license/ documentation fees, so figure that out before hand. Don't pay a dealer doc fee to "process" your paperwork...thats BS.

Don't pay freight or set up fees. Again thats BS. But if the rebate is $300, legitimate taxes and license fees are $300 you can probably get it for $4300 OTD, but I do not think you'll find someone who will sell for $4K OTD. Actually, I'm pretty sure they would lose hard money selling it at $4K OTD with $300 in taxes. I bet they paid more than $3700 just to get that machine to their shop.
thankyou, that is exactly the kind of opinion I needed. I don't mind paying a fair price for something I just want to make sure I am not getting bent over and laughed at on the way out the door.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts