Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and Polaris, have owned and still own several Honda ATVs.

My question is when you let your 850 idle does it have almost a loping sound? (this is my disclaimer so I don't get flamed, I have searched the forum for this the past couple of days and have not found anything about, that does not mean I may have missed it, Sorry if this is a repeat question)

Bike only has 4 hours on it and about 40 miles, When I first start it up it idles just the way I would expect it to. but as it warms up it sounds like it idling up and down in a rhythm but the RPMs always read 1200-1250, and when you put it in gear it will sometime drop down to 1100-1150 for a second and then goes back to 1200-1250. I took it to the dealership today and the mechanic said the engine is idling fine it is the PVT transmission making the noise and that it was a normal for it to sound like that due to how the PVT engages even in Park and that's why when it warms up it sounds like it does. any help would be appreciated or am I just being paranoid.....

I bought it brand new, I have been following the break in procedures to a T, if going slow I drive in low, I have not put hardly any stress on the machine at all, ride mostly flat open areas, no hill climbs, no mud, no pulling, just putt putt around trying to get it broke in, fuel is good, spark plugs are good.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I am new to the forum and Polaris, have owned and still own several Honda ATVs.

My question is when you let your 850 idle does it have almost a loping sound? (this is my disclaimer so I don't get flamed, I have searched the forum for this the past couple of days and have not found anything about, that does not mean I may have missed it, Sorry if this is a repeat question)

Bike only has 4 hours on it and about 40 miles, When I first start it up it idles just the way I would expect it to. but as it warms up it sounds like it idling up and down in a rhythm but the RPMs always read 1200-1250, and when you put it in gear it will sometime drop down to 1100-1150 for a second and then goes back to 1200-1250. I took it to the dealership today and the mechanic said the engine is idling fine it is the PVT transmission making the noise and that it was a normal for it to sound like that due to how the PVT engages even in Park and that's why when it warms up it sounds like it does. any help would be appreciated or am I just being paranoid.....

I bought it brand new, I have been following the break in procedures to a T, if going slow I drive in low, I have not put hardly any stress on the machine at all, ride mostly flat open areas, no hill climbs, no mud, no pulling, just putt putt around trying to get it broke in, fuel is good, spark plugs are good.
First off, I'd say the mechanic isn't too well versed in the works of the CVT/PVT system on the 850. The belt is suppose to be stationary whenever the bike is at idle. So claiming the noise is from the parts moving in that part of the drivetrain is false, unless your belt is engaged constantly...which you'd know from it being pretty hard to shift into any gear, and once in it, it'll creep in which ever gear that was.

As for the lope, it is normal from what you're describing, but I recommend uploading a quick video of it to youtube and posting it in this thread. So we can hear it and make sure it sounds like our bikes. It could be the IAC allowing it to surge a little, just enough for you to audibly hear it. The IAC should be following the ECU; monitoring coolant temp and airflow/temp to control the idle.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Agree, a video would be a great asset for diagnosis in this case.

I guess a lot depends on how high the idle seems to be going. If it sounds like its winding out, then not normal but if only a few rpm then normal. Definitely something to watch.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
My 2013 lopes a bit too. Usually not even enough to register a change on the tachometer but enough to hear. I'm thinking it may be normal if it isn't throwing codes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for the quick responses,

I uploaded a video of it idling. On the video it is hard to tell, sounds more pronounced in person.

Went for a 15 mile ride today and stopped along the way to let it idle and for the most part it idled fine or what I would call normal. Got back from riding and fired it up and it almost immediately started the loping, let it idle for another 5 minutes then moved it to the garage and then it idled fine.

I watched the RPMs and the RPMs stay about the same, idles at 1200-1250, doesn't idle any higher, so I am just wondering if it is the PVT that is making this noise or is this just something normal?

Here is the link for the youtube clip, on the clip you have to listen carefully and it seems you can hear it more towards the end of the clip when I am on the left side of the XP

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
It sounds different then mine as well. If you suspect CVT/PVT then you need to pop off the big black cover and see what its doing at idle. Could be the plugs though, as they aren't warm enough right after starting, but after running a bit they are at temp to burn off the carbon build up. The fact you have to let it warm up for it to start behaving "normal" would lead me to plugs and anything running off the coolant temp sensor like the IAC/TBAP - w/e polaris is calling it now.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I hear it, but I've no XP myself to compare with.

I think ridinagain has the right idea. Ride it. Get it broken in. Go from there.

It doesn't sound like anything major, so go riding!!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have over 5000 miles on mine and it always sounds like that on the first start of the day. I think it's normal.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thank you again for all the responses.

I pulled the PVT/CVT cover tonight and checked it out, as far as I can tell everything is normal, cant really tell anything from it. I will upload another video with the cover off.

Also since I am a worry wart, are the clutches noisy? Here is the video with the cover off.

Again thank you for any advice help.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did you ever figure out what this was? I noticed the other day that mine is also making a noise similar to yours and I could swear that wasn't doing it before. Mine is a 2012 Polaris Sportsman 850 xp and has 1,700 miles on it. I am new to ATV riding and didn't know about using low gear for certain things and I have definitely neglected that and I am paying more attention to what I gear I have the bike in. I noticed that mine only does this when in Park and its sitting idle. When I go to put in high and give it throttle it squeaks a little and then goes so I suspect the belt needs replaced. However when idle the belt is not engaged and this doesn't sound like a belt. Wondering what you found out on yours so I might have a better idea what to look for. I won't get a chance to pull the clutch cover until this weekend.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is the first letter wrote here.here's the problem .i have a 2013 Polaris850 xp ho
Put new belt on and it runs great, but when it is time to shift you cant unless you shut it off
Then put it in the gear you want and start it back up in gear and hold your brake on because it wants to go.the secondary is not opening up wide enough to let me shift gears.i idoled it down and it still does the same thing.you cant shift while its running .it act's like its running to fast to shift but it aint.any idea's.driving me nuts.thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is the first letter wrote here.here's the problem .i have a 2013 Polaris850 xp ho
Put new belt on and it runs great, but when it is time to shift you cant unless you shut it off
Then put it in the gear you want and start it back up in gear and hold your brake on because it wants to go.the secondary is not opening up wide enough to let me shift gears.i idoled it down and it still does the same thing.you cant shift while its running .it act's like its running to fast to shift but it aint.any idea's.driving me nuts.thanks
There are 2 belts. You have the wrong 1.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts