Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to change the racks on the 2014 sportsman 800?? I dont want the extenders I would like to put a more reliable rack on the bike like the 2010 models have! Im more concerned about the rear rack as its a poor design. Thanks

·
Registered
619 Posts
I haven't seen anyone completely remove and replace the entire rear OEM rack, nor have I seen too many other options for rack extenders outside of the Polaris one. Unless you're going to custom make one yourself, you may be out of luck.

You're definitely not the first one to express concern with durability of the plastic racks. That being said, I also haven't seen or read about too many actually problems with them either. I don't think they're cracking on people or anything. It's likely you'll never have a problem. Good luck.

Just a thought, but MAYBE it would be possible to buy an OEM rack for a 570. They are redone with a metal frame, I believe. Idk if the mounting points would be the same though. Could be worth looking into.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Racks on my 2010 sportsman are like 3 times as strong and lined with metal tie down spots.. Im going to see if they have the same bolt patterns once i get some daylight with both bikes. I think the back rack will switch over if the bolt pattern is the same. I haul deer on the racks. My concern is my father in-law has a 2012 400 sportsman with the same rear rack and we used to haul cattle grain to feed and its all busted up and broke and rattles....

·
Registered
619 Posts
I wish you luck but I doubt it'll be an easy switch. One of the sucky things about the racks on our newer value lines is that the racks mount to the plastic at many (all?) points, not to the frame. I was surprised about that myself, but I haven't had a problem yet. Sounds like you work your machine a lot harder than I do though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont plan to work it to hard. About 6 deer a year and feed and fence work. Just the thought of it breaking and rattling makes me want to change it tho. Do the new polaris have the same squeaky break problems?? Have you heard how to stop the old ones from squeaking?? my 2010 sounds like a heard of rats lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts