Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is an ATV forum but some of you guys gotta have sleds. I currently have a 1996 Indy 500 SKS that i'm looking to retire to my wife. I see Polaris now has a new Indy 550 fan with a 144" track. Does anybody know anything about this sled? I can hardly find any info on the thing...basically i'm looking for similar performance to my old Indy 500 liquid.

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
I'm gonna say your old 500 liquid had 65-70 hp. The 550 fan will have 55-60 hp. It will be more noisy and vibrate more too. A few years ago they were having burndown issues with the 550. Trying to lean them down for the EPA. I'm unsure if they fixed the problem. You won't find much out there on the sled because it just came out this year (2014). It's in the newer chassis and will be nicer than your old sled. Power/ perfomance wise you will be going backwards. Look at the new Voyager 600 144. Right around 125 hp, efi, good on fuel, oil and probably the best engine Polaris has in a sled.

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
In an interesting twist, Polaris is coming with several 144” track length versions of the Indy series. The 600 Indy Voyager 144 and 550 Indy Voyager 144 are described as “light utility” models that are well-suited for work and for off-trail riding”. The INDY Voyager models are going to be extremely capable off-trail sleds with their 144” tracks, high-flotation Gripper skis and narrow, adjustable RMK front suspension. These new models also provide a smooth, comfortable ride, so they’re right at home on the trails, but they’re also well-suited for work with their large, durable rear cargo rack. The 600 Indy Voyager 144 is going to see some sales in the lake effect snow belts, where the added flotation of the 144” track and the fuel economy of the 600 twin is going to be preferred over the less-capable in the deep (but more capable in the rough) Switchback 600 models.

A variant of this is the new 550 Indy Adventure 144, an extremely versatile model with the innovative Adventure Cargo System and Lock & Ride Convertible Passenger Seat. It is an Adventure model, but with a traditional tunnel. Yet another variant is the 550 Indy LXT 144, a touring model with a full complement of comfort features for high mileage riders. There’s also a stripped down version called the 550 Indy 144, and of course a short track 550 Indy 121.

While we expected to see more Indys, we simply did not see all of these new models coming. So many new 550 fan-cooled models (four different 550 Indys with a 144” track?) is somewhat of a surprise, but Polaris must be selling enough 550s fans to make it worth the exercise. They are a lower-powered and lower-priced option, and while not appealing to the typical performance rider they likely have appeal to the broader world-wide market that Polaris is eyeing with lust and desire

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. I am aware of the burndown issues but they were more directly related to the EDGE chassis. Poor design in air flow and positioning of the exhaust would cause excess "heat soak" along with lean jetting like you mentioned. There were no issues with GenII and the newer IQ has since resolved those issues. I can't imagine the new Pro Ride chassis would either. Its also over 50lbs lighter than the IQ, weighing in at 430 lbs that is almost 120lbs lighter than my 500. I would like the RMK 600 144 but that another $3,500 dollars. The terrain we ride rarely allows us to go over 40 MPH so a big powerful/speedy sled wouldn't be as cruitial as a high floatation nimble sled. I just dont want to go too far backwards in the performance department, if i all give up is top end i'm fine with that.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UH-OH, I might have to stray away from Polaris. That seems like a great deal, i like that its carb rather than efi too. Not too much heavier either. Gonna have to look into this, appreciate it aknawful. I built both the 550 and this 600 and the price difference was only about $600. I would be silly not to go with the 600 liquid. Its easier to digest a difference of a few hundred compared to a few thousand.

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
It has the "old" style 600 engine that came out in 1999 I think. Right around 105 hp. It's been a bullet proof engine for skidoo and gets awsome fuel mileage for a carbed engine, very close to Doos sdi 600. Couple friends I know bought the MXZ short track version with this motor and absolutely love it.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I'm gonna say your old 500 liquid had 65-70 hp. The 550 fan will have 55-60 hp. It will be more noisy and vibrate more too. A few years ago they were having burndown issues with the 550. Trying to lean them down for the EPA. I'm unsure if they fixed the problem. You won't find much out there on the sled because it just came out this year (2014). It's in the newer chassis and will be nicer than your old sled. Power/ perfomance wise you will be going backwards. Look at the new Voyager 600 144. Right around 125 hp, efi, good on fuel, oil and probably the best engine Polaris has in a sled.

Were those 500 liquids that far down in HP?

I've got three 600 Liberties from '00-'04 and I'm pretty sure they are closer to the 110-115HP range from what I have read over the years.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
75 Horses for the Fuji 500 (Pre 1999)

80ish Horses for the Liberty 500 (1999-2006)

When i had the lower gears in my sks 500 i could run dead even with a stock liberty 600 RMK up until about 40mph then the 600 would leave me in the dust. I think the reason the 500's lasted so long was because they werent producing alot of horsepower. With the stock gears best I could do is tickle 90 WIDE OPEN. We rarely ride that fast tho. The 600 liberty and cleanfire are GREAT motors too!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Oh ok.. yeah air cooled models I can see being in that range.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I should have been more clear. 75 and 80ish horses were for the liquids. The Fans: 488 and the 550 were about 50 and 60 respectively. I have gotten mixed info on the NEW fan cooled 550, but i hear its about 60-65 horsepower.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Wow!!! Just really surprised there is that big of a HP difference between a 500 & 600 Liberty. That is like 30HP difference.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was surprised too

·
Registered
63 Posts
What about the skidoo summit sport 600? right around $8K. and the summit sport 800 is $9K.
Build your dream Snow Sled for Snowmobiling | Ski-Doo USA
UH-OH, I might have to stray away from Polaris. That seems like a great deal, i like that its carb rather than efi too. Not too much heavier either. Gonna have to look into this, appreciate it aknawful. I built both the 550 and this 600 and the price difference was only about $600. I would be silly not to go with the 600 liquid. Its easier to digest a difference of a few hundred compared to a few thousand.
It has the "old" style 600 engine that came out in 1999 I think. Right around 105 hp. It's been a bullet proof engine for skidoo and gets awsome fuel mileage for a carbed engine, very close to Doos sdi 600. Couple friends I know bought the MXZ short track version with this motor and absolutely love it.
I agree
the 600 carb motor is a bullet proof. has been around forever. Go over to dootalk and you will be hard pressed to find one negative thing about it. (500ss in previous models)

I have been eyeing the indy 144 too. When i build them both looks like the Indy will be about 1500 less than the skidoo. Seems polaris alway has some rebate on current models, while skidoo is always on left overs.

Couple things to think about is, the indy is more of a crossover sled. It will be a bit more rugged in ditch banging situations and a nice compromise in lower snow conditions. The summit is a deep snow sled for the endless powder out west, 2.5 lug track and skidoos tmotion skid. You will be giving up trial handling and the are not build to take the pounding in lower snow conditions.

·
Registered
63 Posts
OOPS just noticed you are from ND lol. You may be able to utilize the summit. Moutain sled are a bit overkill 99% of the time here in the NE and are somewhat ill handling on the tight technical rugged terrain we have.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No problem Steve but I do have a fairly major issue. There are three Polaris dealerships within 30 miles of me and only 1 doo dealership I know nothing about ( all I know is they mainly sell boats) thats about 100 miles away. Going to get a quote on the doo and then let the three Polaris dealers fight it out for prices on the 550 144 and a 600 rmk 144 (just to get a good idea) and see where all the numbers end up at.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bringing the thread back to life, really considering a 15' indy 550 with the 144 for myself and a 15' short track version for my wife. That 550 Fuji isn't going to be around forever and i'm a big Fuji engine fan.

The 1996 indy 500 we have is getting long in the tooth. 9,xxx miles on original everything. Should put a new top end in it and also go thru the clutches. Needs a new seat. Front shocks are shot. I'm thinking its time to update. Checked out that ski-doo and I didn't really care for it. Plus at the time that dealer would not BUDGE on the price, have a better relationship with the local Polaris dealer anyways. Your guys thoughts?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I really like the 550 Indy. I'm betting it's pretty peppy in the new chassis after losing 30 lbs. I just would have a hard time with it when the cost of the 600 Rotax is what it is. Way more power , good mpg, and probably the most reliable 2 stroke motor made today.

·
Registered
454 Posts
One of my sleds has a pretty short track and after this past winter of deep snow, I can say it struggled at times. It's a studded ZR 600 EFI with reverse. The biggest complaint I've heard with the new body sleds is that they just don't break the wind like the old style. What I will say though is that while my carbed sleds always require carb maintenance and even then struggle at times, the ZR is hands down the most reliable piece of machinery I've ever owned. If it doesn't start on the second pull no matter how long since last start (first pull primes, second start) the world must be ending. My carbed Rotax requires playing with the primer to get it running and idling correctly.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts