Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am first time ATV owner. I just turned 32, I am 5'9 170lbs so not a big guy. I am not embarrasses to show up with a 200 either when everyone else has 570 but anyways, would I be to big for this ATV? I have a polaris card with a credit line and was considering buying a cheap ATV. I am looking for something I won't have to fork out a big monthly payment to casually use. The phoenix is $3,500 basically new.

This would also be used by not just me but my kids 12 and 8 years of age. They will be learning to ride around my property. My buddies casually ride on weekends... maybe I will go that's yet to be seen. I am not worried about going fast I would like to put that out there, maybe after I learn the ropes but right now that is in the back of my mind. Reliability is something I am worried about I don't want to fix it every other month.

Any input would be nice rather negative or positive.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I don't own one, nor have I been around one. So with that being said I will put my .02 in.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one with everything that you have said. It would fit you nicely and do just what you would want your first ATV to do and that is get around your property and have the boys learn on it also. That machine is so basic there really isn't anything to worry about. I mean no AWD problems, no big HP ripping stuff up problems, and the motors I haven't heard anything wrong with them as long as oil changes are done regularly. I say do it and move your self up after this one is paid off.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
Better to be riding with your buddies on a small 200 then sitting on the porch as they ride away for a day of fun.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would look personally for something else. 330? 300ex? Or even a trailblazer before I would buy a Phoenix. But if you really want one, I have one for sale.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I would look personally for something else. 330? 300ex? Or even a trailblazer before I would buy a Phoenix. But if you really want one, I have one for sale.
I started with a 220 Kawasaki Bayou, it struggled to keep up with others. Upgraded then to a 250 Yamaha Bear Tracker which was a little better. Then upgraded to my first Polaris (Trail Boss 330). Great bike, plenty of power (even pulled nice size logs) but limited in traction being only 2wd.

I guess what I'm saying is $3500 is a ton of cash for an underpowered 200cc for an adult to ride. My first little Bayou 220 was $850 bucks on Craig's list. Not a big deal if it died and sold it for $900 a year later.

The Yamaha 250 was nicer and smoother, paid $1400 on Craig's list and sold that for $1600 a year later.

My favorite was the Trail Boss 330. Rode the best and had enough power but no darn 4x4. The Trail Boss was $2,000 on Craig's list. For $3500 you could get a used Sportsman 500 with 4x4 for that kind of cash!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've got a real nice magnum 425, and a honda 300 4x4 up for grabs, there cheaper than that new tires ect great shape and 1300 miles if you're near wi.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Don't get one. "Reliability is something I am worried about I don't want to fix it every other month." yeah its more like every day. I used to have one. The trailblazer or trailboss would be better.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was looking in a similar range. I found that the best sized one would be the Yamaha Grizzly 350. I think you'd be disappointed in the 200, especially if you had to go up a hill... any hill. I had a Sportsman 90 that would carry me just fine, but going up a hill just wasn't happening. We ended up getting rid of the 90, gave my son the 550 (a little big for him at 13, but he will grow into it), and I moved up to the 1000. Even the new Sportsman EX would be a great machine compared to that Phoenix.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The 570 entry level would be best. The 200 I have 45 mph is top speed. Going up some easy hills in Wv. It boggs down to a crawl. My kids love the 200 but to honest the 13 yr old is rdy for more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts