Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a new member and just purchased a brand new 2014 Sportsman XP 850. I have absolutely enjoyed the few 6 hours I have put on the 4 wheeler thus far. Reading all the issues does not give me a warm and fuzzy, however I am reading with a grain of salt, if you know what I mean.

There is already a couple issues I have noticed. The headlight pod has a fitment issue where the top cover meets the bottom cover on the left hand side from the handle bar over the the aux power plug. I have taken the cover off and tried to refit it to the bottom cover, however the pieces just do not line up at all. It is almost as if the top cover does not have the same shape and/or size of the bottom cover.

I have already taken matters into my own hands and made a permanent fix for it and I will post some pictures when I get a chance. Has anyone seen an issue like this before?

The other issue is a strong smell of gas when I come to a stop. I have already read other posts about this on XP's as old as 2008. I guess it is comforting to know that Polaris has never addressed this issue and owners are taking matters into there own hands like I did with the headlight pod and fixing the issue themselves by moving the vent tube. :hmmm:

One more small issue I noticed is that on some of the rear a-arm mount points there is already a little bit of grease coming out of the bushing/mount areas. I am no stranger to grease fittings and the need to grease farm equipment, however I thought this too was unusual to be losing grease already:question:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Hi, I am a new member and just purchased a brand new 2014 Sportsman XP 850. I have absolutely enjoyed the few 6 hours I have put on the 4 wheeler thus far. Reading all the issues does not give me a warm and fuzzy, however I am reading with a grain of salt, if you know what I mean.

There is already a couple issues I have noticed. The headlight pod has a fitment issue where the top cover meets the bottom cover on the left hand side from the handle bar over the the aux power plug. I have taken the cover off and tried to refit it to the bottom cover, however the pieces just do not line up at all. It is almost as if the top cover does not have the same shape and/or size of the bottom cover.

I have already taken matters into my own hands and made a permanent fix for it and I will post some pictures when I get a chance. Has anyone seen an issue like this before?

The other issue is a strong smell of gas when I come to a stop. I have already read other posts about this on XP's as old as 2008. I guess it is comforting to know that Polaris has never addressed this issue and owners are taking matters into there own hands like I did with the headlight pod and fixing the issue themselves by moving the vent tube. :hmmm:

One more small issue I noticed is that on some of the rear a-arm mount points there is already a little bit of grease coming out of the bushing/mount areas. I am no stranger to grease fittings and the need to grease farm equipment, however I thought this too was unusual to be losing grease already:question:
My 13 850 doesn't have a gas smell when I stop.

As far as the grease coming out of the mounts that's the way I grease mine is to make the old grease and grime out.

2013 850ho

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Do you get the gas smell at all fuel tank levels?

·
Registered
89 Posts
:postpic:
:gruebel:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:postpic:
:gruebel:
The below pic shows the headlight pod top cover to bottom cover separation. There is nothing underneath the top cover in the way, no wires and/or connectors. There is plenty of room around the handle bars. All the screws are in place even the screw in the rear between the aux power and key switch. The stop cover and bottom cover are physically two entirely different shapes.

This pic shows grease coming out of the left rear hub assembly. I realize these things will lose grease over time, but I did not expect this to happen at 10 hours.

Now after riding nearly all day this past weekend, sometimes when I come to a stop or after a few quick one quarter throttle engine revs the engine wants to either stall or barely keep idling.

I have suddenly realized this is not a Honda. However, I knew I cant get the power, ride and options on a Honda that I have on this Polaris. This is somewhat discouraging. I did purchase a 5 year extended warranty. I just hope that when something catastrophic fails on this four wheeler the dealer want try to deny it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Get used to having little issues. Theses big expensive atvs are not as polished and trouble free as the cars we buy,even though they are almost the same price hahah. There will be things you just live with and get used to. But you paid for the warranty, don't be afraid to use it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Get used to having little issues. Theses big expensive atvs are not as polished and trouble free as the cars we buy,even though they are almost the same price hahah. There will be things you just live with and get used to. But you paid for the warranty, don't be afraid to use it.
Yes, buying this Polaris was... just like buying a car... minus the registration fees, tags, title, etc. I've only purchased one automobile that was cheaper then this four wheeler, a used 2003 Chevy S10. :veryhappy: I have not had very good experiences with ATV/motorcycle dealers. Even the one I purchased this one from. Something bad has got to happen to it for me to take it in.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yes, buying this Polaris was... just like buying a car... minus the registration fees, tags, title, etc. I've only purchased one automobile that was cheaper then this four wheeler, a used 2003 Chevy S10. :veryhappy: I have not had very good experiences with ATV/motorcycle dealers. Even the one I purchased this one from. Something bad has got to happen to it for me to take it in.
I've been riding power sports all my life. Majority of dealers suck and don't know the first thing about customer service. That's just the way it is. I'm lucky I have two dealers within 5 miles of me, I ride Can am now and the closest is about 20 miles away. I've only had to go there once this year for a valve adjustment. You would think with the internet these days the dealers would be fighting for our business but that's just not the way it is.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The below pic shows the headlight pod top cover to bottom cover separation. There is nothing underneath the top cover in the way, no wires and/or connectors. There is plenty of room around the handle bars. All the screws are in place even the screw in the rear between the aux power and key switch. The stop cover and bottom cover are physically two entirely different shapes.

Now after riding nearly all day this past weekend, sometimes when I come to a stop or after a few quick one quarter throttle engine revs the engine wants to either stall or barely keep idling.
After washing my 2012 on my trailer the other day (when the pod was at eye level) I noticed this too, not quite as bad as yours, but still enough to take note. I think as long as it is protecting the vent tubes and electronics from water coming straight down on them it is OK, but still annoying. I have over 1000 miles on it and no issues, so as another poster said, there will be a few quirks on the machine. Like mine back fired a bunch at the beginning, really fun while pulling into a quiet campground.

As far as it wanting to stall out on you when you come to a stop, probably just a low idle, you can adjust your throttle cable (there is a spot on the handle bar before it goes into your pod under a black rubber boot), this will also help with starting it as I used to have to give it gas, but once I adjusted that it fires right up. That cable loosens up as you are breaking in the machine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

After washing my 2012 on my trailer the other day (when the pod was at eye level) I noticed this too, not quite as bad as yours, but still enough to take note. I think as long as it is protecting the vent tubes and electronics from water coming straight down on them it is OK, but still annoying. I have over 1000 miles on it and no issues, so as another poster said, there will be a few quirks on the machine. Like mine back fired a bunch at the beginning, really fun while pulling into a quiet campground.

As far as it wanting to stall out on you when you come to a stop, probably just a low idle, you can adjust your throttle cable (there is a spot on the handle bar before it goes into your pod under a black rubber boot), this will also help with starting it as I used to have to give it gas, but once I adjusted that it fires right up. That cable loosens up as you are breaking in the machine.

Too funny! I did not notice the headlight pod cover issue until I got it home and it was on the trailer at almost at eye level myself. I never saw it at the dealer and pre-delivery inspection. You know we all do this, when we get it home is when we really start to look at more things.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Too funny! I did not notice the headlight pod cover issue until I got it home and it was on the trailer at almost at eye level myself. I never saw it at the dealer and pre-delivery inspection. You know we all do this, when we get it home is when we really start to look at more things.
That and the first time you hand wash it, you will go over it with a fine tooth comb. I did that on my new truck and noticed the bumper did not line up quite right, that got fixed under warranty right away..

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
That is a pretty big gap. It's like it isn't latching somewhere in there or maybe a broken tab or something.

You hate to do this on a new machine sometimes but could you drill a couple small holes and use some small black screws to fasten it on each corner?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is a pretty big gap. It's like it isn't latching somewhere in there or maybe a broken tab or something.

You hate to do this on a new machine sometimes but could you drill a couple small holes and use some small black screws to fasten it on each corner?
I've already done that and used a zip tie. It was worse. The only thing holding the top part to the bottom part are the two screws on each side and the one screw in the middle at the back between the power plug and key switch. I have already talked to the dealer. I knew I was in trouble when the service manager told me it must be broken plastic tabs. (There are no plastic tabs, catches, or otherwise any other plastic or ABS clips that hold this thing together.)

·
Registered
294 Posts
My 13 gives you a really good dose of gas on stops. I figured it was the engine loading up as it sometimes does a bit of a stutter at the same time. Something I didn't expect with an FI machine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you get the gas smell at all fuel tank levels?
Seems to be more pronounced at below half tank.
I have noticed this with my 2013 850 XP as well. My 2011 did it was well, so did my 2008 Grizzly 700.
There's some posts floating around here on how to re-route the fuel vent line from inside the headlight pod to under the seat. Somehow that eliminates the gas fumes from being as bad. I might give that a try.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
uner the seat, like near the exhaust?....

·
Registered
294 Posts
Seems to be more pronounced at below half tank.
I have noticed this with my 2013 850 XP as well. My 2011 did it was well, so did my 2008 Grizzly 700.
There's some posts floating around here on how to re-route the fuel vent line from inside the headlight pod to under the seat. Somehow that eliminates the gas fumes from being as bad. I might give that a try.
Given the fuel level at full and the height of the seat, I don't suspect you would be able to fill the tank all the way without it puking gas under the seat.

·
Registered
668 Posts
How do you like the PXT tires? I think only the Browning XPs get them. I have used them on the older Sportsmans and they are probably the best stock tire that ever came on an atv.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts