Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would guess that some of the Polaris engineers take a look at the forums from time to time to generate some new ideas. Somebody at Polaris, I am sure really wants to scratch this itch, so maybe if they see that there is an interest, we can help them maybe make that one prototype that will lead to the next Diesel ATV. So many questions. Would the 904 Yanmar modify to fit the 850. (anybody ever try it yet?) Maybe a smaller Yanmar? How much would it weigh. What would it sound like? Speed? HP? Torque? What price would you pay to own one? Overall, WHO WANTS ONE OF THESE???

Lets get this link going and show Polaris its time to bring on the next level of Sportsmans!

P.S. Dear Polaris, I would gladly demo one of the first prototypes. Thanks for viewing my thread!

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I missed the boat on the first diesel sportsman,but will not miss it if this was built. I too would love to see a turbo diesel sportsman.

Put me down for one, single rider chassis please.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
852 Posts
I want them to put the Diesel in the new Ranger 900 myself. :D anyways looking at the Ranger D vs 800.
as well as the arctic cat 700D "why have they not put this engine in the Prowler???"

Sportsman 600D
"Blue Fire would be the best color to stay true with the original, but knowing Polaris it'll be Sage Green only..."
40-45mph top speed...
40%-50% better range then Sportman 800EFI "the model I'm basing my prediction on.
2/3 the HP and Torque of the Ranger Diesel. "which I do not know"
weight, 850-900 pounds a bit of a porker XD but still not as heavy as the Big Boss.
Price would be somewhere between $9,000 and $9,400 right between 850HO and Big Boss.

might have the 550XP style cargo box, Diesel makes me think of work. work and cargo box go hand in hand.

lastly a Big Boss 600D would also be sweet :D I would be more likely to get a Big Boss D then a Sportman D simply
because I love the added utility of the 6x6s cargo box :D having owned one for almost 3 years now I don't think I can go back to 4 wheels...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
True, but I'm sure that was said at one time about putting a turbo on a jet ski... If I was the Polaris R&D Manager I would tell my engineers to make it work.

·
Registered
518 Posts
If they were to make it I'm sure someone will make a programmer for it,
I have one in my diesel pickup and wow.:tuschel:

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
If they were to make it I'm sure someone will make a programmer for it,
I have one in my diesel pickup and wow.:tuschel:
Those smaller diesels are emissions exempt, and also still mechanically injected. I'd bet they will rate it ( wink wink :) ) under 25hp for that same reason.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want them to put the Diesel in the new Ranger 900 myself. :D anyways looking at the Ranger D vs 800.
as well as the arctic cat 700D "why have they not put this engine in the Prowler???"

Sportsman 600D
"Blue Fire would be the best color to stay true with the original, but knowing Polaris it'll be Sage Green only..."
I like the idea of keeping it Blue. But I do think it has to be bigger than a 600D. If Polaris wants it to sell, it has to completly spank the competition; They need to make the Arctic Cat 700D completly uncomparable... It should make every ATV enthusist that sees it, rides it, and hears it, want one. If so, then it will sell!

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I like the idea of keeping it Blue. But I do think it has to be bigger than a 600D. If Polaris wants it to sell, it has to completly spank the competition; They need to make the Arctic Cat 700D completly uncomparable... It should make every ATV enthusist that sees it, rides it, and hears it, want one. If so, then it will sell!
BINGO!! That is why the 455D died, the lure of bg bores stole sales away from it. Hell, I would buy one no matter what size cc it is, the bigger the better... in this case!!

I know that quote may come back to haunt me... oh well.. LOL

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 455D died when it started... It honestly was a great ATV, but it was extremly overpriced. If Polaris would have mounted a Yanmar to the PVT back then it would have been twice the ATV for probably the same price. The problem is that Polaris engineers didn't learn anything from the GM 5.7 diesel...they did the same exact thing. They took the Polaris Fuji engine and morphed a gas engine into a diesel. 15 years later, Polaris has a serious diesel engine and once they figured how to bolt it to the PVT, the options are limitless.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
The 455D died when it started... It honestly was a great ATV, but it was extremly overpriced. If Polaris would have mounted a Yanmar to the PVT back then it would have been twice the ATV for probably the same price. The problem is that Polaris engineers didn't learn anything from the GM 5.7 diesel...they did the same exact thing. They took the Polaris Fuji engine and morphed a gas engine into a diesel. 15 years later, Polaris has a serious diesel engine and once they figured how to bolt it to the PVT, the options are limitless.
How much was a 455D new?? The diesel in the Rangers is Yanmar, correct? I really hope we get one, as I do not like the Arctic cat two up design, and love the Polars AWD.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
$7,499.00!!! Retail of course. More like $11,000 today. And yes, the new Rangers are Yanmar, so I would guess that Polaris could take most of the small Yanmars and mount them to the PVT.

Manufacturer Polaris
Model Year 1999
Model 1999 Diesel
MSRP $7,499.00*
DIMENSIONS
Length 81.0 in.(205.7cm)
Height 47.0 in. (119.4cm)
Width 46.0 in. (116.8cm)
Weight 755 lbs. (342kg)
Wheelbase 50.5 in. (128.3cm)
ENGINE
Engine 455cc, liquid-cooled diesel, 4-stroke with counter balance
Displacement 455cc
Carburetion Direct injection
Fuel Capacity 3.75 gal. (14.19L)
Starting electric start
Lubrication Dry sump

·
Registered
852 Posts
I don't think 600D would have any trouble against the 700D even with a smaller displacement, looking at the website stats for the Cat it has 100/200 for cargo racks, and 1050 for towing. the Sportsmans have 175/200-400 "rack vs X2 box" and tows 1500 "though being heavier 1600 wouldn't be to unlikely. also the Cat has a pretty hefty price tag at $10'500!

If you ask me the 900D vs 600D would only add price and weight to a machine that may not be able to handle that much power, both limiting the useable power via loss of traction and the likelyhood of the machine breaking itself.

I dunno...

·
Registered
307 Posts
It would be best to keep the diesel motor at or around 600cc due to the amount of torque that the motor would make and I don't know how much the transmission/belt can take before we all bash it on here for only lasting 1000 miles and the belts shredding:aargh4:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Sure nobody want to blow a belt, but the Ranger is already running a belt with the 904cc. Besides, since I am curious, the Yanmar website only shows about 10lbs change in weight from a 780cc to a 900cc engine. I'll take the extra 120cc please! (They make smaller CC engines, but they are super heavy) I am not too hot on engine weights, but I think 169lbs would be OK for an ATV setup.

and... the big surprise is that it looks like the Yanmar engine costs about the same as a Polaris 850 engine... (short ebay search) hmmm????

From Yanmar website at http://us.yanmar.com/products/industrial-engines/liquid-cooled/minimax/3tnm68/Model
3TNM68
Type
3 Cylinder, 4-Cycle, Liquid Cooled Diesel Engine
Cylinders
Bore
68mm
Stroke
72mm
Displacement
.784L
Aspiration
Naturally Aspirated
Combustion System
Indirect Injection
Rotation (from flywheel end)
Counterclockwise
Dry Weight
160lbs.
Rated Speed
3600rpm
Net Intermittent Hp
18.9(14.1)/3600 Hp(kW)/rpm
Starting System
Electric
Cooling System
Radiator
Length (Base engine only)
17.0in [431mm]
Width (Base engine only)
15.7in [400mm]
Height (Base engine only)
19.7in [500mm]

Model
3TNM72
Type
3 Cylinder, 4-Cycle, Liquid Cooled Diesel Engine
Bore
72mm
Stroke
74mm
Displacement
.903L
Aspiration
Naturally Aspirated
Combustion System
Indirect Injection
Rotation (from flywheel end)
Counterclockwise
Dry Weight
169lbs.
Cylinders
Rated Speed
3600rpm
Net Intermittent Hp
23.6(17.6)/3600
Starting System
Electronic Starting
Cooling System
Radiator
Length (Base engine only)
17.7(450)
Width (Base engine only)
15.7(400)
Height (Base engine only)
19.9(505)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, they do not make a 2 cyl minimax. If they did that would be a clear choice. Looking at the Minimax lineup, my money would be on seeing a sportsman diesel with the exact powerplant setup to the Ranger. Question now is if/ how it would fit.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts