Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I purchased a new 14' SP550 LE and am really pleased so far... But, I only have 4.7 hours. My question is really about the 2014 20 hour break in... See, my 2010 SP550 only had a 10 hour break in period and during that initial 10 hour period you could really tell, especially when it hit 10 hours. It was like somebody threw a switch and it smoothed out and ran great... Well, my 2014 seems to be a little different. I am not experiencing the same ragged running type operation and the break in now states 20 hours, but only tells you to not run it hard for the first 3 hours...
I am a firm believer in breaking in an engine right, but 20 hours? Seems a might excessive, so I am looking for any information I can. I searched the forum and came up empty.

Thanks,
Skip

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I was told to vary throttle speed, avoid pinning it from a stop and just use it. Avoid staying at the same speed for long periods of time as well. 20 hrs goes very quickly and they motors do get stronger with time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, but you know how it goes... I feel like a little kid who just found out he is going to Disneyland in a week and you know what happens then, time just slows down! haha

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Mine did the same thing, it is a program written into the ECM for breakin....or so I was told.
I rode mine rather easy for the first ten, then moderately until twenty hours. I did not get it into any mud or or a situation where I would have to hold the throttle wide open.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I know what your talking about waiting for engine break in, seems like the hour meter doesn't move. I have been taking it easy on my 850xp, I'm at 5 hours. I'm taking it in at 10 hrs for an oil change, and going to Amsoil. Wish Polaris had a dyno type machine that they could break in the motor at the factory.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I know what your talking about waiting for engine break in, seems like the hour meter doesn't move. I have been taking it easy on my 850xp, I'm at 5 hours. I'm taking it in at 10 hrs for an oil change, and going to Amsoil. Wish Polaris had a dyno type machine that they could break in the motor at the factory.
Why are you taking it in at 10hrs and why back to the dealer. No need to do it at 10hrs and you can do your own oil change in about 30 minutes or less. It is your dollar and I am not telling you what to do but no way would I pay someone to change my oil when it is so easy even a cave man can do it. What made you pick AMSOIL?

Ronnie

·
Registered
245 Posts
TXRonnie, To answer your questions, the dealer I bought it from said to bring it back at 10 hours for a total inspection. Part of it was I was torn between a Kawasaki Brute Force 750 and the Polaris xp 850, so to make me feel better about picking the Polaris he is doing a inspection. As for changing my own oil, I always change my own oil, except for this first inspection. Why Amsoil, I feel it's the best synthetic out their today. Example, I drag race a big block Oldsmobile 468ci motor, when the motor is tore down by me or machine shop after a season the bearings inside are like brand new. Engine builder is a professional, and done tons of research on Amsoil.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Factory oil has a Zinc additive its a polar molecule, so it is attracted to steel surfaces. Under heat and load, the Zinc reacts with the steel surface and creates a phosphate glass film that protects the steel surface by forming a sacrificial film that covers the peaks and fills in the valleys of the steel surface.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
Proper break in would consist of three normal operating temperature heat cycles consisting of 20-30 mins at varying thottle thats it. Also swapping the oil filter after 3-5hrs is beneficial as factory installed filter will most likely be at max capacity on filtering

·
Super Moderator
7,088 Posts
Proper break in is 20 hours as stated in the owners manual, with the first oil change at that same 20 hour mark. This also is part of the break in process for the belt. You can follow the manual, which is from the engineers that design and build these engines, or you can wing it and do as a few of members here advise that claim to know more than the manufacturer. Your money, your choice...

·
Registered
192 Posts
20hr mark is stated from polaris so you be easy on the machine till the factory warranty expires not the motor manufacturer. Changing oil at 20 hour mark will do damage will all the factory casting metal floating around. These low horsepower mass produced motors need heat cycling to seat the rings thats it. The tolerances are built so loose and power specs detuned so much they will never self destruct at baseline power.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I do agree with Unlimitedor on not waiting till 20 hours to change oil, and filter. bobx2 is also correct about following the manual for proper break-in. I think 20 hrs is to long to wait to change oil, and filter. When I break in a new race engine we run it for 20 minutes @ 3200rpm, after cool down I pull drain plug, and the oil looks horrible. It's got all kinds of contaminets in their, thats only after 20 minutes. I will be changing mine @ 10 hrs, and again @ 20hrs. I have followed the manual on break-in, just not the oil part.

·
Super Moderator
7,088 Posts
Oil and filter are relatively cheap, and I won't argue that changing the oil before 20 hours is not a bad idea, and extra oil changes never hurt anything. I change mine every 50 hours, not every 100 like I believe the manual calls for. The heat cycles are as important as the rest of the break in procedure. I did however, chuckle about 20 hrs. is just to get you past the 6 month warranty theory. If you only put 20 hours or so on your atv every 6 months, the thing will probably last forever, regardless of how you break it in. :veryhappy:

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
When I break in a new race engine we run it for 20 minutes @ 3200rpm, after cool down I pull drain plug, and the oil looks horrible. It's got all kinds of contaminets in their, thats only after 20 minutes.
You running a roller, solid or hydraulic cam?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Nice.........

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the replies... I think my plan is to run it easy through 5 then progressively harder through 20. I am set to change my oil at 20, but I am heading out for a little 4 day vacation to the coast and will probably just change the oil and filter when I get back. I am betting I will be close to that mark when I get back. And, just as an fyi... After many years in the auto service business, I am convinced that as long as you are using good quality oil and more importantly a good filter... Well, you are good to go. I will probably just run factory for the first change and then maybe switch at the 50 hour mark.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Thanks for all the replies... I think my plan is to run it easy through 5 then progressively harder through 20. I am set to change my oil at 20, but I am heading out for a little 4 day vacation to the coast and will probably just change the oil and filter when I get back. I am betting I will be close to that mark when I get back. And, just as an fyi... After many years in the auto service business, I am convinced that as long as you are using good quality oil and more importantly a good filter... Well, you are good to go. I will probably just run factory for the first change and then maybe switch at the 50 hour mark.
My first change was OEM out of convenience at the time. I'm cutting over to Amsoil on change next week with a NAPA Gold filter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts