Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys this seems like a no brainer, but I just can't believe this is actually the problem on such a new machine, so I am looking for some opinions,experiances and diagnostic techniques before I start ripping stuff apart. The machine is like new and I want to proceed with reasonable caution.

The Facts;
She is just out of warrantee (only 6 mo. boooo!) 2014 Sportsman 570 bone stock, tires too. Has only 25 hours and 250 miles, just had its first oil change. I don't beat it at all, and wipe it with a diaper in the garage.

After some riding around the yard and driveway doing a little yard work (not towing anything) I noticed a weird ticking noise when I drove into the garage that I have never heard before. I am talking less than 10 minutes of easy riding on grass and tar.

I traced the slight ticking noise to the left side rear axle area as if you were sitting on the machine for L&R orientation.

Upon closer inspection the "cup" of the transmission side axle is too hot to touch, like you can't touch it for more than a second. The other axle sides "cup" (exhaust side) is cool to cold to the touch and seems totally fine. The hotter it gets the louder the ticking noise, once it cools off it is still there, but not as bad.

The transmission itself feels cool to the touch and rear trans fluid levels are good.

There are no tears in the CV boot and clamps are sealed tight with no signs of grease leakage, it looks brand new. There is no play in the CV joints at all and they appear tight.

When back tires are off ground and rotated, noise and resistance are pretty consistent, with a little more resistance in one spot, but its really barley noticeable.

However it seems to me the tires are fairly hard to spin off the ground in neutral than one would expect, but I have no other point of reference as this is my first time working on a sportsman and with all the drive linkage there I can see a little drag through the tranny as being normal.

I know once I rip the CV boot or break the clamp to check the CV, I will be taking the axle off to replace the CV boots and possibly the CV joint/axle itself so I wanted suggestions to test the CV before I start taking bolts off...but it seems pretty obvious unless its in the trans, but again trans is cool, fluids ok.

I mean the ATV is like new and yeah I ride it in the woods and defiantly some mud and water, but nothing abnormal.

Any input or suggestions are appreciated I have had many 2 wheel drive ATV's and am pretty handy with machines, but it just can't be a dead CV already, it just can't....

·
Registered
319 Posts
HI guys this seems like a no brainer, but I just can't believe this is actually the problem on such a new machine, so I am looking for some opinions,experiances and diagnostic techniques before I start ripping stuff apart. The machine is like new and I want to proceed with reasonable caution.

The Facts;
She is just out of warrantee (only 6 mo. boooo!) 2014 Sportsman 570 bone stock, tires too. Has only 25 hours and 250 miles, just had its first oil change. I don't beat it at all, and wipe it with a diaper in the garage.

After some riding around the yard and driveway doing a little yard work (not towing anything) I noticed a weird ticking noise when I drove into the garage that I have never heard before. I am talking less than 10 minutes of easy riding on grass and tar.

I traced the slight ticking noise to the left side rear axle area as if you were sitting on the machine for L&R orientation.

Upon closer inspection the "cup" of the transmission side axle is too hot to touch, like you can't touch it for more than a second. The other axle sides "cup" (exhaust side) is cool to cold to the touch and seems totally fine. The hotter it gets the louder the ticking noise, once it cools off it is still there, but not as bad.

The transmission itself feels cool to the touch and rear trans fluid levels are good.

There are no tears in the CV boot and clamps are sealed tight with no signs of grease leakage, it looks brand new. There is no play in the CV joints at all and they appear tight.

When back tires are off ground and rotated, noise and resistance are pretty consistent, with a little more resistance in one spot, but its really barley noticeable.

However it seems to me the tires are fairly hard to spin off the ground in neutral than one would expect, but I have no other point of reference as this is my first time working on a sportsman and with all the drive linkage there I can see a little drag through the tranny as being normal.

I know once I rip the CV boot or break the clamp to check the CV, I will be taking the axle off to replace the CV boots and possibly the CV joint/axle itself so I wanted suggestions to test the CV before I start taking bolts off...but it seems pretty obvious unless its in the trans, but again trans is cool, fluids ok.

I mean the ATV is like new and yeah I ride it in the woods and defiantly some mud and water, but nothing abnormal.

Any input or suggestions are appreciated I have had many 2 wheel drive ATV's and am pretty handy with machines, but it just can't be a dead CV already, it just can't....
Sounds like a bearing in the rear differential maybe. Seized getting hot.

·
Registered
319 Posts

The Facts;

Sounds like a bearing in the rear differential maybe. Seized getting hot.
Is the differential hot where the shaft goes in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^^rear diff seems cool enough in that area, maybe a little warm but that could be heat transference from reeeeealy hot "cup" area of the rear axle.

·
Registered
319 Posts
^^^rear diff seems cool enough in that area, maybe a little warm but that could be heat transference from reeeeealy hot "cup" area of the rear axle.
Swap sides. See if it's the axle. Just bought my first Polaris new few months ago. Been told their cv shafts are crap and keep an eye on em.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
If it is that hot and already clicking, chances are you will be replacing the axle anyway. Your auto parts store sells a needle that will fit onto your grease gun.
Pick one up and inject some grease into the CV boot it may be dry. The hole made by the needle is tiny and will not let a bunch of crap into the boot.

If this helps the issue you will know it is the CV joint. You will at least be able to use the machine until you are able to replace the axle. This needle attachment has been used in the automotive industry to grease ball joints with no zerks for years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Swap sides. See if it's the axle. Just bought my first Polaris new few months ago. Been told their cv shafts are crap and keep an eye on em.
If it is that hot and already clicking, chances are you will be replacing the axle anyway. Your auto parts store sells a needle that will fit onto your grease gun.
Pick one up and inject some grease into the CV boot it may be dry. The hole made by the needle is tiny and will not let a bunch of crap into the boot.

If this helps the issue you will know it is the CV joint. You will at least be able to use the machine until you are able to replace the axle. This needle attachment has been used in the automotive industry to grease ball joints with no zerks for years.
Both great idea's guys, thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To close this thread out for anyone who has this same issue. I had a squealing noise that started after some normal riding around the grass yard. I felt my way from the wheel end of the rear left axle up to the trans end of the axle. The "cup" on the trans end of the axle was too hot to touch. The right side trans side cup was nice and cool.

The right side rear axle had no play in it and felt tight, so only problem was noise and heat when driven even a short distance.

There were no tears, leaking grease or other problems with the CV boot, it literally looked new.

I removed the old axle and in doing so, the trans CV joint end almost popped out of its socket. So in other words, it felt tight while fully attached to the machine, but when removed it felt like there was more play in there than there should have been.

I replaced the entire CV axle with a new one myself to the tune of $300 just for the part, now its fine, no heat no noise.

But you have to ask yourself, why it went bad in the first place as the machine is very new, barely out of break in, not abused and rarely see's water or deep mud.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well these newer "tiny" axles are probably made with Chinese parts in Mexico. I bet it costs less than $50 for Polaris to make a complete axle. Hope this is the last of your 570 problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts